1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pump for plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by shawn gravely, Jan 23, 2012.

1. shawn gravely

shawn gravely Junior Member

hey guy's gotta question for you.Im just getting into to plowing and bought my first one.Its a western ,problem is I thing the pump is going out,on days when it below freezing the blade goes up and down no prob just wont go left or right but does when warm. I drained the fluid twice out of lines and cylinders,took motor and pump out cleaned out ,still no right and left when cold out .they told me the pump they no longer make.How do i know what model and year it is to try and find a replacement pump? I think that's. the problem thanks so much
  2. MJB

MJB Junior Member

Have you checked to see if the solonoids or whatever they are called are working? Do they make a clicking noise when you try to angle it either way? Sounds like moisture turning to ice in the solonoid valves, if that plow has them. Might just need to replace them. Never owned a western so this may not apply, but thought I'd chime in anyway.
  3. shawn gravely

thanks ,will look into that
  4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Post a pic of pump. Most pump you can still get parts for or have rebuilt.
  5. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

A while back I had a western unimount, the turn cylinders were rust pitted and I would often get moisture in the system, and when the temps fell below freezing, the fluid would slush up and cause the plow to quit working. I would always keep a hand held torch in the truck and if I started to have problems, I would heat the reservoir enough to get the fluid moving again. THIS IS NOT A FIX, but it did get me out of a jamb a few times. I would look closely, if there are signs of fluid leaking out anywhere, that means moisture can enter the system.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Take the system apart, Angle Rams, Hoses, pull the motor (I'm guessing you have the pump pictured below) clean the inside of the tank, clean/replace the filter. Make sure you have all the old fluids out. Remove the valves from the manifold and inspect them for rust, swelling and assure they are operating properly. If you have a valve that works most of the time it needs to be replaced;) Then refill with a premium plow fluid.

Inspect the rams for signs of leakage, if oil can come out water can get in. Worn angle ram seals account for a major proportion of the units with continual moisture issues.
  7. shawn gravely

thanks for all the help,It turns out I had water in the cable box that controls left and right thanks again