1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump Flush

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by johnhenry1933, Mar 7, 2013.

1. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

It's time I flush all my plows. I know I can buy hydra flush @ $10 per quart. Is there something else you guys use...like kerosene, or another cheap cleaner? The reason I'm asking is I will be doing this several times per plow, and don't want to throw away $60 if I can get a cheaper cleaner for a fraction of the price. Thanks in advance.

2. johnhenry1933

Ereryone uses Hydra Flush?

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Ur a few months ahead time.

4. johnhenry1933

Thanks (?)...but, no, I am not. I have contamination, probably from the rams, that are contaminating my valves. I need to clean and flush the reservoir, pump and filter (again), and bench the block to clean and replace anything necessary. I will simultaneously flush the rams to ascertain that I eliminate all contamination, and do not have to do this again (for the next few years...aside from normal maintenance).

So, does anyone regularly use a different flush with succes...like kerosene (or another "cleaner)?

Thanks.

5. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Hydra flush is all I've used I would be interested to find a alternative

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

My bad, your first post sounds like general maintenance for all your plows.

Your 3rd post describes a problem with one plow.

7. johnhenry1933

Well, I HAVE to do it to one plow now. I've flushed the reservoir and filter three times (and inspected the valves...and replaced one valve as it was plugged with a little sediment this season)...and that's enough! :) I will do it to my other plows as well (as you suggested) in a few months, as I have never done a complete flush on any of my plows.

I am certain kerosene will work well, and not harm any seals, as it is not too "hot" and is petroleum-based. I'm just wondering if there is an even cheaper alternative out there. At $4 gallon for kerosene, I guess I've come to my own conclusion (thus far anyway).

Thanks.