1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pump fluid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by carsoncity, Jan 4, 2009.

1. carsoncity

carsoncity Member

we have a Boss and Snoway and are told to use their specific fluid for the pumps, does anyone use anything else that would be the same and cheaper.
  2. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

On a fisher, they recommended ATF transmission fluid.
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That would be the older style Fisher, not the new ones.
  4. Pitt4212

Pitt4212 Junior Member

I have a 2001 boss plow with a new pump as of last year and my dealer has always told me to just use Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and it has been fine.
  5. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I have been using ATF for many years. Never let me down
  6. oleplower

oleplower Junior Member

I have 1 boss and 3 meyer, I have used it all. found that ATF will freeze a little in loe temps, and cause the plow to slow down. If you check the container of Meyers and western fluids they are the same, with differant labels. I have mixed them with no problems, The secret is to flush you system a couple of times a year keeping the fluid clean and free of water. Had a friend of mine come by yesterday had this same confersation, we pulled the plug on his meyer and got almost 1/3 of a cup of water before the fluid turned dirty bluue
  7. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

Have used
    pump fluid
    Tractor Hydrolic oil

ATF when gets COLD out it gets slow.

For freeze up add a couple caps of HEET to obsorb water and prevent freezeup

Then I tried Motorcycle Fork oil (its a hydrolic fluid)
    Available in 2.5W 5W 10W 15W (ATF is 15W) 20W.

In cold weather the 5W Fork fluid works wonders. The plow works fast all the time.

I used it in older Myers and Westerns both.
  8. carsoncity

carsoncity Member

yeah I tried atf as well and had problems with it freezing up, might try the motorcycle fork oil, see if that works
  9. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

$3,000+ worth of plow, and you want to save $3 on oil? Don't pretend to be smarter than the hydraulic engineers who designed it. They chose the oil because it's the best oil for the application. Boss is even nice enough to tell us that they simply repackage Mil Spec fluid (and mark up some payup). Read the sticker beside the fill port for the correct mil spec and find some fluid that matches that spec. ATF doesn't. I spend so much on fuel and truck maintenance that 3 quarts of Boss fluid once a year is peanuts. Makes sure you won't have warranty denials too.
  10. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

Peaked at dealer book

I looked at the dealer book while he was helping a customer.(Western) It said to use up to 2 oz of Isopropyl in the pump to keep from freezing fluid.