1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PuMP FLOAT GOING DOWN VERY SLOW??

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Largecar05, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Largecar05

Largecar05 Junior Member

Just wondering if any of you guys can tell me if theres any thing i can do to get my pump to drop better when the weight of the plow is off of it? I disconnected it this afternoon and it was the first time i have since i got it about a month ago. I know its been sitting awhile and has never been used much. Just wondering if theres a quick fix or if it has to break in. Or if i gotta keep beatin it with a hammer lol. Thanks

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

:dizzy: It's a new plow and your hitting it with a hammer. :eek: :laughing:

You can adjust the packing nut and or the pressure relief valve to get it to drop faster or slower.

:confused: you mean the travel from the point the plow is on the ground to the point the lift ram fully retracts? Is the plows actual drop speed ok?

Which plow do you have?

3. When you say it may need to break in, I'll assume it's a newer plow.

Most Westerns have a "Quill" that can be adjusted , look at your owners manual

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Here are some pictures to show were the relief valve and Quill adjustment..

Relief valve

presrelval.jpg

Quill adjustment

speedultra.jpg

Let us know how you make out

presrelval.jpg

speedultra.jpg

5. Largecar05

Largecar05 Junior Member

Lol, yeah i did hit it once against a piece of wood to loosen the chain to pull the pins. I knew there had to be a way to adjust the relieve on it but ididnt have a manual and had to get it off for work. I just picked it up from a guy who had it awhile and really never used it. Twinman thanks for the diagram I actually just hooked it up and adjusted that quill and it worked like a champ. Now I dont have to be that guy.... Thanks again repo man, and ecogreen. You guys were a huge help.

6. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Your welcome......Just don't beat it up any more..Respect it like you respect yourself......