1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump filters collapsing

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 1997chevy, Jan 15, 2014.

1. 1997chevy

1997chevy Member

Hey guys, i have an old 7.6' western plow with an isarmatic plow pump (electric solenoid style)

The issue I'm having is my pump filters collapse.

The filter i took out the first time was really nasty and I understood why that one collapsed.

I changed the fluid and filter yesterday and the plow worked great last night but during the course of the day today it started goin up slower. I took the pump apart thinking the filter was getting clogged again from leftover debris.

This filter looked spotless compared to the one I took out yesterday.

The new filter has collapsed too but there was basically nothing on the filter. Do you think the new one was a faulty filter?

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

What type of fluid did you use in it?

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Interesting situation. The only thing that will cause a sump screen to collapse is a significant pressure differential from one side of the screen to the other. Water crystals freezing on the screen would restrict flow causing a psr diff. Also too thick fluid or very cold temperatures making "the wrong kind" of fluid get very thick and making Tony350's question very relevant. I can guess that u r using transmission fluid or regular hydraulic fluid.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

can you put up some pics?
    not saying anything bout your install, but are you bending it putting it in?

5. mishnick

Pretty hard to damage on instal in the old Isarmatic

6. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Are you sure it's clean when collapsed? I've seen some pretty fine contamination (some of the ram seals can erode very slowly/finely from a burr/divet/pitting) that is capable of plugging Uni filters...that's what it's there for.

I would first ascertain that the filter is absolutely clean. If not, you have an ongoing contamination matter that requires attention.

7. dieselss

Not necessarly. If your trying to put the filter in without taking off the pump. And if you don't have it just quite right you could

8. mishnick

But it's not like the Flowstat where you can damage it putting the reservoir on. Once this filer is installed you can see the result. If it was damaged before the motor went in he would see it no? Going by his terminology I am assuming it was not crushed. Collapsed sounds like a pressure issue. I want to know what kind of molasses he is using for fluid.

9. dieselss

Well this is true as far as seeing it. But let's says he tweaked it putting it in and that was enough to cause the issue? And maybe he didn't think it was collapsed it just "gave". I know there pretty flexable

10. 1997chevy

1997chevy Member

Ok, I'm gonna try to get all these at once.

I installed the new filter the day before I took it out and used the blue plow fluid from oreillys, it says good till -50*f.

I can take some pics of the old (original to when I bought the plow) and the new filter that collapsed.

And when I say collapsed I mean the filter screen became detached from the plastic "cage" that its supposed to be attached to.

I installed the filter with the pump removed. I removed the pump to clean out the resi.

11. 1997chevy

1997chevy Member

12. johnhenry1933

Those sure look like metal shavings. If they get into the pump, you'll need a new one. Have you figured out where the contamination is coming from? You possibly already have shavings in the pump, causing problems.

13. 1997chevy

1997chevy Member

Oh I'm sure the shavings made it thru already I'm not sure how long the original filter was collapsed. At this Point I'm just curious on why the new filter collapsed too..... And its damn near clean

14. johnhenry1933

Well, it's possible if the system is still contaminated the contamination has actually gone through the pump and back into the system. With that much contamination, I would give the system a good cleaning and find the source. Rams most likely.

15. mishnick

Hmmmm, those pictures tell a story.... Not enough to explain why the screen tore away though. You say you used the blue fluid so it's not an issue of oil too thick. I wonder if possibly there were enough of those bits of metal to saturate the screen and cause backpressure. I would be more concerned now about where all those metal bits are coming from and where they are now. If there were enough on the screen to cause it to break away like that then chances are a whole crapload of stuff when through the pump and into the valve body.

16. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have a magnet in there to pick up the shavings and is it clean?

17. mishnick

Isarmatics have a lot of aluminum so a magnet might be useless. Then again if it does stick it would narrow down the source and if u leave a magnet in the res it would help pick up any bits u miss on the flush. But again thst only applies if the bits stick.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  18. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I seem to remember mine having a magnet in it. Not 100% sure been thru a few plows

19. mishnick

All the later model flowstat and fleet flex units have magnets but not the aluminum Isarmatics. U can put one in but the only thing it has to stick to is the pump itself.

20. dieselss

Unimounts should have a magnet.
    But. If its never been apart that's not bad