1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump and raise Cylinder leaking

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by S-10 Plower, Dec 15, 2005.

1. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

Ok need some info quick got a storm coming or so they say and need to know what's wrong.

Noticed on the ground below the plow frame that there was a reddish color fluid looked around and found that it was coming down the raise cylinder and from the center of the fluid resivor, plow blade also drops apox 1" every five or so min when raised. :( this can't be good. what do you guys/gals think the prob. is?
    also if I bought the truck from the dealer in Oct 2004 is that when my 2 season warr. went into effect or was it when the dealer got the plow was installed on the truck and shipped to the dealer (tag inside of door says Aug 2003) Any thoughts need to know guys
    last Question I promise.
    dose any western dealer have to service the plow if its still under warr. with no cost to me or do I have to take it to where it was originally installed?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
  2. topher

topher Junior Member

Hey Mark. Should be an easy fix unless the hole for the pin is bashed up too bad. Repacking the cylinder should do the trick. Not to expensive if you do it yourself. (about $20 up here in Canada). Now i know its not proper shop practice, but a nice big pipe wrench has always done the trick for me as far as getting the packing nut off. Sometimes those buggers are on their tight. Its about a 15-20 minuit job, or about 10 minuits if you pull the cut off saw out (for those stubborn bolts). Ill spare you from anymore of my barbaric shop techniques an give the actuall shop guys a chance to give you the proper procedure. I don't want to get laughed off this site my first time on it. Ill keep an eye out to see if they give you the goods, and if not, I'll be back. A shop shouldn't charge to much to do the job either. Depending on how handy you are, it might be worth the extra bucks. Long story short, don't sweat it. Its not a major problem. (unless things are bent, which i cant imagine happening on a lift cylinder) Later.
  3. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

Thanks for the reply took the plow over to my local trailer/plow installer here in town. he looked at it and discovered that it was the o-ring on one of those little adjust ment screws first it was loose and the o-ring had broke. as for the lift ram it was not leaking. with the o-ring bad and the adjustment screw loose every time i would raise or angle the plow it would spray fluid out all over the place including the packing nut for the ram making it look like it was leaking.

But i like those shop ideas. My dad always told me if you can't get it, maybe you need a bigger hammer.

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You have the right idea, a big ol pipe wrench to start, then the cheater bar on that, if that dont work then the saws come out, raise the lift cylinder all the way and cut it off at the nut, drive whats left down into the barrel and the cut the nut into 3 pieces (be careful of the threads), pull the 3 pieces and whats left of the lift rod and throw the new parts at it.
  5. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

make a nut for the packing

I was shown a way to drive the packing in to the pumps. Machine the threads off a old packing nut and weld on a piece of pipe. Then lube the packing up, and drive it in.
    Works every time for me.
    Westerns are the best, but if you need to make money sell Meyers
  6. topher

topher Junior Member

Hokey crapp, you guys are a bunch of butchers. Its nice to see that others share in my need to just get things done with what you have. Long live sleg hammers, crow bars and cut off saws. Glad to hear it was an easy fix Mark.