1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pulling your trailer

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by RLC, Jun 5, 2001.

1. RLC

RLC Junior Member

I was just worndering what you guys pull your trailers with . I got a Dodge dakota right now but I'm looking at a Ford F 150 with a 4 sp in it . Do you think it's better to get and auto than a 4sp.This truck is real nice but I don't know about the shifting all the time ,if it would be good on the trailer and mowers back there. It's 2 wheel drive so I won't be pushing any snow or pulling out any trees with it . Let me know what you think .

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Since I drove big trucks for a few years (BEFORE new innovations like Eaton's Auto-Select came out!) and I drive a 4-speed equipped welding truck now, shifting doesn't bother me at all. (I catch myself quite often in automatic-equipped vehicles reaching for the stick, clutch or sometimes both!) Some people find shifting all the time to be a nuisance, especially in stop & go traffic, so a lot depends on your own personal preference.

Unless you're driving like a maniac and crash-shifting every gear, shifting won't have any effect on your trailer and equipment.

I admit that I'm not very familiar with clutch/transmission choices and durability in Fords, so I'll let others more qualified speak on that topic!

I would think that the 4-speed should work OK for you, your clutch will probably be the "weak link" in the chain.

An automatic will be a little easier to drive, (no shifting) your biggest enemy there will be heat: Make sure it's equipped with a good transmission fluid cooler! And don't neglect the fluid/filter changes either, towing qualifies as severe service.

3. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

I think it's a little easier driving an automatic with a trailer, especially with a heavy trailer . I have an F150 with a 4 spd and a 250 with the auto.. The 150 is kind of a pain with the shifting cause I am in local traffic, stop and go.. If you have a guy working for you who dirves the truck or may need to use it once in a while , does he know how to drive the stick ?? that may be an issue..

As for the auto tranny, just baby it.. change the filter and fluid , twice as often as your supposed to and make sure you have a seroious cooler, not ust that thing in the radiator, get an external cooler. and keep your eye on the fluid levels...

4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

"REX", you've got a good point regarding other people driving the truck. An automatic is more "idiot resistant" than a manual - there's no clutch for someone to slip excessively and the automatic "soaks up" shocks that would otherwise be sent right through the U-joints, splines & rear axle gears. The automatic won't forget to downshift on a long climb either ("Stupid thing didn't have any power going up the hill.....................")

One of the fellows at work went to pull "my" welding rig (don't own it but do get to drive it home! :D ) out of the shop after unloading some material. He was worried about it rolling back, his solution was to floor the pedal, let the rpm's wind w-a-y up & then dump (and I do mean DUMP!) the clutch. Didn't roll back, anyway. Wonder if that's got anything to do with the U-joint that's going out of it now? :mad: