1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pulling Plow Stakes yet?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JTVLandscaping, Mar 23, 2012.

1. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Just wondering, with record highs across the country, how many guys are pulling plow stakes and how many guys (like me) are keeping them in a little longer...afterall, it does snow in April on occasion.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well if you don't use them ,then I guess I don't have to worry about it;)

3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I took them out of my yard this past Wednesday. It has been in the mid 80s and the long range forecast doesn't have us below freezing anymore. I hate to say it, but I don't think we will have anymore plow-able events this season. We too get snow in April, but I'm not feeling it this year.

4. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

I pulled mine today :-( Some customers were even complaning that they were still out!!!!

5. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I've had them call at the end of March and tell me my stakes are in a pile come get them. I was like "what?, please do not ever do that again"

All our stakes are still in ground and I will not pull until April.

6. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

I pulled all of mine earlier this past week.

7. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Probably starting next week, and starting bringing equipment back as well

8. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Pulled a bunch of other peoples stakes today. :)

Snooze, you loose. It's been way to warm for any plow-able events, and even if we do, you should be able to figure out where the curbs are because most of the snow will have melted off anyway.

9. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

I'm pulling mine on Sunday after church gets out. And I'm sending a bill to one church they pitched all of there's.

I love my Z

10. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

You don't charge them when you put them out? I bill at the beginning of the season for markers (if the client requested them) and what they do with them after the season is over is up to them. I put 100 stakes in at one of my accounts and I bet half of them were gone before we had our first push in.

11. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Sure it can snow in April but this year that is unlikely. We have to start pulling ours because people are already starting to mow and we will likely start mowing some properties in another week. Just a calculated risk like just about everything else in this business

12. Neige

Neige Sponsor

So if the client does not request them you dont install stakes? Who then becomes responsiable if there is property damage? Are you not worried about damage to your own equipment?

We are going to start pulling them at the end of the month, but our contracts are still good till mid April.

13. 2ExploreSnow

2ExploreSnow Member

I took them out of my yard this past Wednesday. It has been in the mid 80s and the long range forecast doesn't have us below freezing anymore. ...

Here in the Catskills multiple forcasts are calling for a low of 20F on Mon, which will be a shock to the system with last weeks temps in the 70's. Hopefully, that won't stress the plants too much. Did a few mows this last week :)

14. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

If its a property that is new to us, I will mark it the first year at no cost to the customer unless its curbed. There after, it is the customers responsibility. If there are curbs, we can usually see them after a snow fall. I have yet to damage equipment due to not marking. Maybe I'm just lucky

15. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I pulled all mine this past week. Some of the customers had them laying in piles beside the garage already. My contract is good until April, but I do not see us getting any plowable events yet this year. Besides that, as over have mentioned people are starting to mow around here.

16. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

some are pulled ...rest next week...contracts ending

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  17. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Pulled all of mine two weeks ago, customers didn't want to look at them with 70 degree weather.

18. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I will be removing them next week, as well as all the post season lot sweeping.

19. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

The only reason I put them is was it was a new to me
    The last Guy did not fix the yard. When he plowed last year. And he hit a parking block and did not put it back

20. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

All mine are still in, I pulled them all on April 20th last year, not sure I'll wait that long this year but I saw one long range model showing a nor easter next weekend...so I'll wait a bit longer