1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pulling people out with a 2001HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by William B., Jan 6, 2005.

1. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Last night(Wednesday) I was driving around and saw a guy that was out plowing a lot had gotten stuck. He droped the front end of his truck of the edge of a parking lot, apperently where some water had collected. To make things worse is the ultra mount and got hung up on the snow, so the front tires where not able to get traction. He was new to plowing and didn't have any wieght in the back or a shovel. I tried pulling him out once and no luck. I went and got a shovel, so did he( he had called another person to help as well).After digging out around his tires I was able to get him out with my 01 2500HD. I suggested getting atleast some tube sand for ballast. Anyway my question is, when you pull some one out do you the tow/haul mode or leave the tow/haul mode off. Also, when I pulled him I put it in 3 so I didn't damage overdrive. Was this the correct thing to do. Sorry for the long post, but I want to make sure that I am doing thing correctly with my new truck. With my old truck, it was 4 low and put it in drive and go.

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I don't think you need to do anything specific. Just put it in 4 low 1st maybe 2nd gear. hook it up, very slowly take the slack out of the tow rope. let completely off of the brake w/o gas yet. then slowing give it gas. avoid spinning your tires as well.
  3. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

4 high and drop the hammer!! :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:
  4. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

He's kidding! :nono:
  5. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I'd hope so. What I did was put it in 4lo, ease the slack out of the chain til it was tight, and then gave it some gas. I was in 3rd. The guy in the stuck truck lowered the blade and then worked it back and forth, kind of using the blade to push backwards and take some of the wieght off of the mount. I do need some more aggressive tire then the ones I have currently. I plan on running the ones I have on the truck til this spring, summer and then hopefully I will have some more money so I can upgrade to some 285's

6. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

i pulled a guy out 2 days ago...ice storms suck! hard to get traction with anything! :nod:
  7. 4speed

4speed Member

whatever works !
  8. Mark F

Mark F Senior Member

ctfan don't use the chain, your going to break some thing someday soon doing that. Go to the hardware store. Pick up 50'-60' of 1 1/2" nylon twisted 3 stand rope. Splice on hooks on either end. The nylon rope will work like a giant rubber band and snaps them out of the ditch or just pulls you back wards. Ill leave it in 4 high, drop the hammer right off his bumper, works every time. I've even pulled my buddys 7 yarder dump truck out of a hole with my f350 flat bed. It was amazing
  9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

JMO but dont ever use a nylon rope or tow strap with hooks built in. Use a chain or a tow strap with the looped ends. Dont EVER use a trailer ball as a recovery point. Snatch straps(streachy tow straps) require and experience wheeler and shouldnt be used most times. I would highly recomend aginst using the above method.

also TH and the gear you are in will make no difference. if someone was heavily stuck i would use low range in the transfer case.

My procedure for unsticking someone. Hand them the strap and let them hook up(take a look at were they hook, but having them hook up limits your liability if you tear something up) hook up your truck. Tell them to put it in nutral and take up the slack and try to lightly pull them out. If it dosnt want to go then get out, tell them its time for them to put it in reverse, tell them to watch you and to stop any time they see your brake lights. If you start getting whell hop STOP!!!! If it dosnt want to come stop and call a wrecker. There are many other things that can be done but the above way limits your liability and also limits the risk of some dipshit your trying to help screwing up your stuff.

I prefer to use a towstrap with looped ands and some big clevises most times. Dont EVER use a tow ball as a recovery point and only attach a chain back onto itself!
  10. Mark F

Mark F Senior Member

Ratlover; You got some great points there. As with all towing & pulling you need to first weigh all possible disasters. And if it looks to dangerous, call A wrecker. Now days I won't even try to pull some one out. I have to much to lose ,and don't want to risk wrecking my rig. Now I just ask them "You want me to call that wrecker for you". Remember to be safe out there thats the bottom line.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Whether your truck is in 3rd or overdrive your transmission is never going to come out of 1st gear. That is where it starts and you just pull slow and steady. If it doesn't come out right away then he is really stuck and you most likely won't get him out. I use the front of my truck to tie off as the weight of the plow helps with traction and if the cable snaps I hope it hits the plow and not my truck.
  12. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I agree with using only chains. We use them all day at the towing company I work for and we have never had an issue. Just make sure they are attached securely and that they are rated for what you are pulling. We also use cruise loops, long recover straps that loop through itself then attach to whatever your using to winch/tow out.

As point of reference, the safest, and most damage free way to "unstuck" something is by using one of these straps. You open the front doors and fish the strap through the doors either behind the seat or in front of the seat depending on which way the vehicle is stuck. Close the doors, then attach the loop to your truck and go.

They sell these straps in A&W
  13. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

man you can leave it in over drive its not going to hurt any thing
  14. PackRat

PackRat Member
    from Kansas

Old school

Before anyone ever though about using snatch straps, or ropes, my Dad used to carry an old tire around all winter. He'd short chain the tire to the back of his pickup, then long chain to the stuck vehicle. Just about the time the chain picked up off the ground, he'd pour the coal to it. The tire worked just like one of those fancy snatch straps. He never broke a chain, or tore a tire in two. Mostly, it was just common sense. Knowing when to go, and when to quit.

Personally, I'd recommend a snatch strap, or a heavy tow rope. They do a lot less damage, than a chain, if you break one.
  15. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Thanks for all the replys everyone. I have heard of using a tire in between two chains and I agree with using a strap as opposed to a chain. I have thought of carrying a reciever with out the ball in it and putting a clevis through the hole and then attatching the tow strap to the clevis. Does anyone see any problems with doing this? The main reason I started this thread was because I wanted to cover all of my bases when pulling someone out with my new truck. With my old truck I wasn't as concerned, but this one is newer and I want to take care of it. I don't know alot about the whole electronics thing and how they and the truck will act in certain situations.
    Thanks again everyone,

16. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

The balless hitch is a GREAT recovery point. If you have access to a welder i got a big tie down D ring swivle deal from AW direct and welded that to a peice of 2" and stuff that in my reciver.

You can also stuff a tow strap into your reciver and stick your pin through it. Just do get really crazy becasue if you bend that pin in the middle it can be a mother getting it out
  17. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I pull from the pintal hooks on my trucks. I never pull the newer cars out any more I'm not going to be held reasonable for breakage. I have friend with tow truck. I'll let him make the money.
  18. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

You all made good points but oh the stories I could tell from other "unconvetional" methods.Might not be legal in all 50 states though.
  19. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

StlylinConcepts.com sells these hook thingees that go into your receiver. I've used mine once I think.