1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pulling out vehicles.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KingDuramax, Dec 21, 2006.

1. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

I was reading the Tow Strap thread and thought how many people pull out vehicles that are off the road. So while plowing and you come across a person off the road, do you stop and pull them out? I usually only stop if it is another plower in need. Although I have pulled other vehicles out.

2. snyps

snyps Senior Member

If I don't know them I won't touch it.

I have a yellow light, but I am not a tow truck.

3. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Well, since you read the strap thread you probably figured out that I pull alot of people out. Money is money I'll take from who ever. I get a fair amount of calls to pull people out. I work at a bible college here in Wisconsin, we have alot of students that don't know how to drive in snow, so they keep me busy.payup

4. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I will help anyone out that needs help. You never know when you are going to need help.....

:waving:

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i dont pull people out . with todays plastic cars and aluminium suspension. strap to the wrong part of the car and youll be getting sued.now if a fellow plower needs assistance
    ill be glad to help

john

6. lazerslicer

lazerslicer Member

Help

I agree with what most guys r saying i would help out if i knew i could pull them out.....you never know when u r gonna need help right!

7. Groundwork

Groundwork Member
    from Vermont

I refuse to pull anybody out. My first year I thought I would be a nice guy and pull out a car that slid off a private road, went to pull him out and my truck slid off the road as well. I was stuck for about 2 hours until a tractor came by and pulled me out. That was the last time I will try to pull anyone out, but I will call them a tow truck if they want.

8. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I refuse to live in fear of getting sued. If that's the case then you had better stay in your house, and not interact with anyone....

9. gpfarrell

gpfarrell Junior Member

I guess it depends.

A family with kids on a desolate road? Yeah, I'd pull their car apart trying to get them back on the road.

An emergency vehicle? Same.

Some guy two feet off a main road, within walking distance of civilization, or with a cell phone in his hand? Not my job.

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I'm not really familiar with cars at all, just truck, but on a car stuck in the snow, what are the best places to attach a tow line (rope, chain, strap, etc.) to pull from to get it out? or any vehicle just to be clear!

11. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

women with kids or old lady is about all i would help. OHH and a plow truck dude!! But i will calll a tow truck for anyone. :redbounce :redbounce

12. KHB

KHB Member

A hot chick stuck in a snow bank, hell ya i'm pulling her out..lol :nod:

13. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

2nd that!!!!! and also fellow polwers

14. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

"Pull out?"........Doesn't seem manly to me.......

15. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

My father told me twenty five years why do you stop they could be nuts! I do it all the time if I can. Someday I hope someone does the same for me or my family.

I have a snatch strap and a chain in the truck all the time. If there's traffic jam around a stuck car with state police on the scene they always pass my offering up, but town cops take me up 75% of the time to get the traffic moving.

Sorry for you guys with wreckers, I'm just helping out. :waving:

16. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Depends on the vehicle. Most common places like the bumper, tie rod or axle can result in damage. Most newer vehicles have specificly designed places for T-hooks (some for J-hooks). For some instances the best way is by using a "cradle" for the tires. Unibody vehicles are best pulled by putting a strap through the doors and behind the seat. Best advice is get a AAA manual which shows tow hook placement for 99% of vehicles manufactured. Then buy a tow truck.

17. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

Just remember that maybe those "stuck" cars have a driveway that might need plowed and a yard that needs landscaping. I get alot of business from the place that employs, to the neighbors and relations buy taking 10 min and a quick yank. A good way to network and pass out cards.

18. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That's because the State guys know better; the town cops usually don't.

19. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I have enough things to do when it snows, I don't have time to do the work of a tow truck driver.....:rolleyes:

20. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I really try to avoid being a tow truck driver. I will do it if it is a really bad storm and there are either little kids on the car or a fellow plow truck driver. Other than that it is just too much of a risk. The best thing I ever bought was this hitch shackle. Has gotten me out of trouble a lot, but mostly in the woods. http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=28