1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pulling capacity of 3500HD/2500HD?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Brian's Lawn, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Brian's Lawn

Brian's Lawn Senior Member

I've looked and the only stats i could find for this was for a gasser and i wanted to know how much the Duramax/Allison combo could pull? thank you
  2. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

The dooley 3500 can tow 16000 lbs. The standard s.r.w. 3500 can tow 13000 lbs.
  3. Brian's Lawn

thank you.
  4. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Towing capacity

First you should contact a Chev. dealer for towing capacity because it depends not only on engine/trans combo but also gear ratio. You can tow more weight with lower (numerically) ratio gears. IE 3:73 gears will not handle the load like 4:10. Hope this helps, Al
  5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Last I knew you can't get 4:10s with a Duramax. 3:73s only.
  6. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Dan is correct
  7. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

The only way to know how much you should tow is to take the GCWR ( gross combined weight rating) and subtract how much your truck with you, passengers, and all the cargo weighs. In other words the more cargo in the truck the less you should tow. I didn't catch the year truck you are inquiring about but the GCWR of an 04 duramax (LB7) with 3.73 rear end (only one available) is 22,000 lbs.
  8. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

The numbers i posted are based on the 2008 allison/duramax with 3.73 rear end.
  9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

You can only get a duramax with 3.73's
    I'm in Colorado at 5000ft (i.e. less power due to altitude)
    One of my trucks is a 2500HD (regular cab), it has a 105 gallon fuel tank on the back (approximately 800lbs full of fuel)
    I tow a 5000lb emtpy weight gooseneck trailer with a 9000lb tractor and aerator on it and occasionally have put a pallet of fertilizer on it with the tractor (another 2500lbs)
    We drive along just fine.

It will tow whatever you can hook up to it. (any of the big 3 diesel's will)

AS for specs, it's different for cab configurations (regular cabs haul more than crew cabs for examples), 2wd vs 4wd (2wd more than 4wd), etc
  10. Brian's Lawn

i got a good idea of how much i can tow. i know it makes a difference with the cab and 4x4 and such. i was just wondering because i am kind of looking for a used duramax with an allison from 2000 and up. also how does that combo handle the plow on the front? pushes it like a champ im guessing?
  11. Brian's Lawn

also, does anybody have a vbox spreader in the back of their duramax? how does that work out?
  12. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

The later ones are better and make more power (LBZ duramax's have a 6 speed allison vs the ealier 5 speed). some of the early duramax's had some issue with leaking past the injectors. but that all should have been handled by now under warranty.

It pushes anything you want, you run out of traction before you run out of omph. It needs timbrens. It's a lot of front weight. It rides much better with timbrens. Just figure it in to the cost of your plow. I believe that GM doesn't allow a plow on a Crew Cab with duramax. (too much weight), but not sure. who wants to plow with a CC anyway? too long.
  13. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

the specs for my truck, 07 duramax ext cab short bed- classic body style. 12,000 lbs bumper pull (with WD hitch) and 15,400 fifth wheel or gooseneck. Minus all your cargo/ppl deductions. My buddy has an 8.1L CC and has pulled well over 16,000 many times. FYI