1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pulling a trailer in the snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JThompson, Feb 19, 2003.

1. JThompson

JThompson Member
    from NYC

Anyone have any experience pulling a trailer in the snow? I've seen lots of guys pulling trailers with skid steers so I guess that works fine. The weight of the skid steer must help. What I would like to do is have my trailer set up so each time I plow I don't have to load the truck and unload. I have three 7x14 US cargo enclosed trailers I could use. They wouldn't have much weight in them though so I am concerned. Just a few snowblowers and some shovels. Would chains be of any use? Special tires? Suggestions? Thanks.

BTW, we got 20" in Staten Island.
  2. pjslawncare

pjslawncare Member

Cant say for sure about a light trailer John, but I had to hook up my trailer this past storm so I can use my front loader. My trailer is 18' twin axel with a 5000# tractor on it and I was supprised it pulled well on frozen snow. I went a little slow however and balanced tractor slightly heavy on the tongue (approx 60/40). Maybe you can carry sand bags, tool boxes, extra fuel or anything heavy yet usefull in the front of your trailer. Im sure your 14' has brakes. My trailer has brakes on one axel and just has street treads on it. I imagine brakes on only one axel is best as other axel will keep it tracking streight if trailer brakes lock up. No complaints with mine though. Good luck
  3. Temco

Temco Member

I particularly don't like pulling a trailer in the snow. I had to do it last year for a property management company that wanted Bobcat service at the same time the plowing was done......too much of a pain in the butt especially if you have to stop and get gas, coffee, use a restroom not to mention dealing with the extra responsibility driving in the snow.
  4. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I pull a 6.5x12 open single axle behind a one ton Ford van 2wd. It works fine just give yourself enough distance to stop, it might push alittle on turns if not careful. Would help if the trailer had brakes and tow vehicle has 4wd. Can't always get up the edge of the driveway without a alittle bit of a run. Lot of guys around here pull tandem trailers behind one ton or bigger dump trucks with skidsteers on the trailer for snow removal.
  5. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

We pull a skidsteer trailer and 2 20' enclosed trialers around and never had any problems
  6. JThompson

JThompson Member
    from NYC

What kind of weight are you carrying in the enclosed trailers?