1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pulled over for plow being to wide

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dsplow, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsplow

dsplow Junior Member

I got pulled over for my plow being to wide. I have a 7-1/2 meyer with pro wings. I had plow angled back to driver side. state cop said I was only allowed 8' 6" width, plow measured 9' 2" straight end to end. got $100 ticket Does this sound Wrong .:mad:

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

If you were indeed angled then you were in the right as long as you are under that legal measurement

3. Woodenshoe

Woodenshoe Member

Yup, sounds wrong if you for sure had it angled all the way. But I would not get in a pissing match with a trooper on the side of the road. Do some research (maybe look up the specific law for which he issued the ticket) then decide if its worth fighting.

4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Nope they measure possible width around here...Suck it up and just be happy he didn't write anymore tickets.

5. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

sounds to me theres not alot of crime there . our state pd is way too busy chasing bad guys here . what a joke

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I just posted the other day about how wide some guys are driving around with wings on. Everybody just ignored it for the most part.:rolleyes:

7. RepoMan1968

when the flakes are flying , it dont matter . But when it's sunny and 49* , your on your own .

8. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Michigan is in a world of hurt. County mounty, city boys and especially (state police) have a certain amount of tickets that need written.. Chalk it up to wrong place, wrong time..

Here's a story my father drives a semi for 7up he was going Northbound and a off duty trooper tried to call other troopers to pull him over. Stating he was driving reckless because he passed the cop in semi doing 67mph while the trooper was on phone.
    This officer I mean (ass) went as far as calling his 7up boss (had trailer #) and said ;Quote ''If I could off pulled him over I'd give him 6 points on license''. welcome to Hell Michigan..!

9. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to Michigan......I thought you were only allowed 8 Foot....:help:

Anyway....They will sell you a Permit per county for i Think $110....That will cover you for the over width....But at $110 per county it starts to add up....

10. RepoMan1968

Terrible . Thats that liberal non-capitalist thinking mentality. Hemay just need to spread his wealth more .

11. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

When I hear about police forces being cut I feel awful...:drinkup:

12. RepoMan1968

thats why we have a right to bear arms . I feel safe in my home .

13. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

just make a campaign donation to the local prosecutor.

14. MRHORSEPOWER1

MRHORSEPOWER1 Member

What are they gonna do if you had 9' hiniker scoop plow mounted on....

15. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

If he said 8'6" max width, than go and angle your blade like it was, put a 2'x4' on the angled in sideso you can get a true width measurement. If you're still over pay the ticket, if not, take some pics and go to the court date and plead your case if its worth it for the $100 or principle

16. WRIGHTWAY

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

If it’s not over 8-6 Take measurements and photos and have your day in court. I am not against law enforcement in any way but possible is not a factual term. You ether are or are not breaking the law it’s possible for me to rob a bank but until I have don so I have not broken any laws

17. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Thats probably part of the issue, I believe here if your plow is one 72hrs after a storm its illegal -__-

18. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I'd like to see that in writing. :rolleyes:

19. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Well lets not be stupid here.

If you open the doors on the truck you'd be to wide as well.

20. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

If I can find it I will post it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.