1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pull type drop spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rob_cook2001, Jan 4, 2016.

1. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Looking for a good pull type (ATV) drop spreader for sidewalks. I have always used a broadcast spreader but a new contract requires a drop spreader. I will be spreading both mag flake and calcium pellets. Looking to buy something asap and wanting everyone's input.
    Thank you
    Robert.

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Is it possible, or worth it, to build a delfector that turns your current broadcast spreader in to a drop? instead of buying a whole new spreader for 1 account..

3. rob_cook2001

Hey Mike, hope your doing well.
    This is a huge account and need two dedicated spreaders for this lot anyway so I have to buy two no matter what.

4. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

We did this for a broadcast spreader this fall. We acquired a retiriment community that has long but thin sidewalks. What we did was took a spare mud flap we had and cut it to about 4-6" wide then drilled holes into it. Put a few zip ties through the holes and tied it to the frame of the spreader around the spinner. Works pretty well but I've only tried iti once so far.

5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

gotchya....never owned a drop spreader, so no help here on what to get. good luck:salute:

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Snow ex drop spreaders...check em out.

7. rob_cook2001

All I can find for snow ex is walk behind on there website.

8. WIPensFan

9. WIPensFan

10. WIPensFan

or...

http://ventrac.com/products/sa250/

When you are on the page, wait for it to start scrolling through pictures of it on different machines...the ATV is the second pic it scrolls too. As in you don't need a Ventrac to use this.

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

How much material will you be spreading and what's the width of the walks?

12. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

13. rob_cook2001

The walks are 5ft and 6ft wide. I spread 24 to 48 bags per event. I would really like a pull type so it can be ran on any ATV instead of one mounted on the ATV.

14. WIPensFan

why?? Cost?

15. STARSHIP

STARSHIP Member

16. rob_cook2001

Just for security. I always have 3 ATV's on site. With a pull type if one ATV has a break down you could un hook and hitch to another ATV.

17. WIPensFan

Get Honda ATV's, They will never break down!wesport:drinkup:

Just my extremely biased opinion...

18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Ok.... So you'll be probably be doing 2 passes to get coverage which limits the options. How about a modifying a walk behind drop spreader to be a tow behind, something like this as an example http://snowdogg.com/products/saltdogg-spreaders/walk-behind/wb400/ . I'd give you a hand with the fabrication, you just buy materials and buy a couple lunches.

Have you given any thought about using liquid on the walks, from a equipment perspective you'd have more options to get coverage in one pass.

Honda ATV's....... guess you've never owned a Yamaha......:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

19. WIPensFan

What's a Yamaha??:confused:

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

A little birdie told me to tell you it would be cheaper for Rob to buy the spreaders than have to buy you a couple lunches. Lol