1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pull Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by madskier1986, Jan 3, 2013.

1. madskier1986

madskier1986 Senior Member

So I been asking around and get the general Idea the pull plows are great for driveways. I have called up Daniels and they gave me a quote for $2700 shipped (8 foot width). I called ebling and they wanted close to 6 grand for the 14 foot model.

I know that of the two brands I have looked at, the danials is better for driveways while the ebling is better for commercial situations.

A little bit about my work, have 7 commercial lot and 66 driveways. What is your opinion on the best way to waste more money this snow season. Or should I just save it and not buy one?

Thx

2. madskier1986

Never said that. They just can be better used for a commercial app in they way they were explained to me. I know that they can be used on driveway.

3. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I purchased a new 8' Daniels pull plow with poly cutting edges for this season, I ordered it back in July to make sure I would have it by early October. Well I never received it until about mid December. Didn't get to use it on the first snow fall due to it being late, but I have used it on three events now and it does the job.

In all honesty, I was looking at purchasing the 14' Ebling first but changed my mind, mainly because I thought I didn't need it and that the Daniels for about half the money would be just right for me. Well, I really wish now I had just went with the Ebling, it would've saved me more time on resi's and on lots as well. I'm really thinking of selling my Daniels after this season and getting what I should've in the first place.

As for the Daniels it self, there is nothing wrong with it, works fine. My only complaint was when I received it, the paint was peeling off. If I do keep the Daniels, I will for sure modify it, I'm not a fan of the lift system. I'd rather it had been a parallel lift like the Arctic & Ebling's, and have longer sides than it already has.

If your gonna spend the money, spend it wisely and on an Ebling.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I have been kicking the idea of a back blade for a couple years now for a set of condo's we do and did quite a bit of research on both of those brands. Any way I looked at it, it was a lot of money when I could just send my sidewalk guys out to snow blow these particular driveways and get a tighter, better results and save $$$. I know this doesn't help you out much but for all its worth everything pointed to an Ebling

5. extremepusher

extremepusher Senior Member
    from west mi

If you only need a 8' back blade, Ebling does make a 8' with permanent mount side wings for a little more then a daniels. If you maybe pulling deep snow, i would go with the Ebling. How the daniels mounts to truck is kind of cheap.

6. CAT 245ME

I have to agree, I found a couple of times with mine that the chains used to tighten it up on the sides had worked loose on me. Maybe I just didn't have them tight enough the first time but the instructions said not to over tighten them too much.

7. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

is a hiniker C plow out of the question? we are primarily commercial for snow removal but have picked up enough HOA's and residential driveways that we bought a C plow to take care of it...i heard great things about it so we went ahead and ordered one yesterday...can't tell you how well it works yet but i have a good feeling about it...it's also a straight plow so you can plow other properties/lots with it, a pull plow is limited on what it can do...

8. madskier1986

Thank you for the feed back. This is what I was looking to hear back on regarding my post.

I agree it is a lot of money. That is why I am hesitant to pull the trigger for a Ebling. And that other fact that they have to remove my factory hitch to install their hitch which includes the mounting system. I know that the specs of their hitch will be as strong but for some reason it bugs me.

I read up on those C plows last year. I have never seen one in action or used around town but they sound like a great invention. Let me know how it goes.

Thank you everybody for your additional input. Sorry that I seemed to stir up some issues today/tonight.

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I agree the C plows are a very useful plow and Ive seen one in use here locally and it did a great job but looking at some of the ebling video's on Youtube....you cant beat clearing 16ft in one pass.

10. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

The Ebling would be great! I looked at going with an 8' pull plow initially, but went with the Ebling and am VERY glad I did......ended up with a 14'

11. extremepusher

extremepusher Senior Member
    from west mi

As for for feeling comfortable about Ebling hitch, there should be no worry. There hitch is stronger and heavier than your factory hitch. THey have been building hitches for 30 years. They were building hitches back when they were being custom made for every vehicle.

12. CAT 245ME

Not a problem.

I think the price you were quoted must be with poly cutting edges ($2700), that's around what I paid with the poly and shipped it to Maine. The steel edges are much cheaper.

13. TLK380

TLK380 Member

I have the 8' Daniels for two years now. I do commercial lots with loading docks. I'm very happy with it.
    It definitely saves time.

14. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I have a 8ft Daniels for 2 years now and it save me time and money and I cant believe I gone as long as I did without it. I do alot of residentials too along with some commericals and with the down pressure being able to scrap down to the pavement I love it and now that they make a polly cutting edge I am prolly gonna change over. IMO you cant go wrong for residentials

15. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

OK, let's see here.

The Ebling was initially designed as a driveway vehicle. 14' or 16' so one or at most 2 passes could be made in a "normal" double width driveway instead of 3-4 passes. A 16' will get you most driveways in one pass, cutting your time down immensely.

Back blades also work great in commercial applications. Not only to do they eliminate turning around for back dragging, they can also be used for carrying snow to the end of the lot, once again increasing one's productivity by 50% or more in some cases.

During daytime snows, one no longer has to back into the streets or use the front blade for backdragging, which, again reduces time waiting for traffic and turning around in crowded lots. Which increases productivity and is far safer.

A 14' Ebling is far more productive in all these situations because it is wider than the Daniels.

The hitch is nothing to be concerned about. They do a great job of making them look almost factory and are far stronger than what OEM hitches are or ever will be.

The problem with the C plow is you still need to turn around, etc whereas back plows will pull the snow in the direction you need to travel with the front blade already. They do not expand to 14' or 16' like the Eblings and do not increase productivity like a back plow will, either.

You will be more than pleased with an Ebling. Personally, I would go with a 16'.

16. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I kinda of wish that I would have grabbed a 16' Ebling.....but the 14 does an amazing job.....I even have some sub work for a landscaper who only wants me for my Ebling.....pulling snow out of alleys and loading docks ....I don't even need my Boss V-XT on when I work for him.

17. Landgreen

Landgreen Member

The extra cost of the ebling should not deter you. The productivity is amazing. With proper care it will last forever.

If you purchase one, get the 16. I see many 14' owners comment that they should have bought the 16'.

18. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

My company plows an average of 10 condos complexes (average of 100 driveways per complex) per year for the last 15 years. We have tried everything for the best results. We did have a Daniels pull plow (actually still have the blade sitting in our yard) on a 3/4 Chevy for several years. It worked nice when my driver used it but the problem was getting backed into driveways straight. If the complex had narrow streets, cars parked in the street, and/or short driveway approaches it was almost impossible to get lined up straight and be able to pull the snow all the way out passed the curb. The truck was just to long with a front plow and the pull plow. It was just a reg cab with 8ft. bed. It would be nice if manufacturers made a 3/4 ton reg cab with 6.5' bed. We now use skid loaders, tractors and trucks with Hiniker's "C" plow for better efficiency and manueverability.

19. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

do you guys have wings on your C plows?

that's great to hear...for us it seems like a C plow would be the best on a regular cab flatbed truck, great visibility and maneuverability...yes, if you are looking for a wider swath than 8 or 9 feet then an ebling is the way to go, but you also have a blade on the back as well as the front, take into consideration if that is going to affect you

20. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

Well we have the box ends (not really wings) on our "C" plows. They had problems with the frame design in the two earlier versions we had (too weak), but it seems Hiniker has beefed it up in the latest edition.