1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pull Plows- worth the cost?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Oct 4, 2012.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hey All-

I'm starting to gear up for winter, and am thinking about the best way to approach the new drives I have which are "dead ends." I'm considering: 1) a backdrag edge for my Fishers, or 2) a pull plow. Preferences on what the best pull plow is? Worth the extra cost and length of the truck (I do all driveways so truck length is an big consideration as I'm working on narrow town roads, etc (turning around in the street)?

Any advise/opinions are appreciated!

Thanks,
    Matt

2. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I went with a 14' Ebling last year. Mix of commercial and residential, with some private roads. Works great.

3. weekendwrench

weekendwrench Senior Member

Personally I say no, not worth it. Get a V-blade and you’ll be a lot happier. I do all driveways with a extreme –V with a back drag edge. I don’t like the idea of adding more electrical, more hydraulics, a second control, and more length for the few times it will save me three minutes. Don’t get me wrong, they are handy but just not in my situation. My.02:drinkup:

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

"from my experiences" pull plows/backblades are a must if you want max performance out of a truck doing drives. Less turning around & the ability of applying down pressure are the first 2 things that come to mind of what made them desirable to us....not to mention they are functional ballast when only using the front blade.

We put backdrag edges on our front plows...regardless if the truck is equiped with a pull plow or not. Considering they only cost me $100, its worth it. JMO

As for brands of pull plow - I only have experience with "Daniels", and have nothing but good things to say about em.....but would probably go the "Ebling" route if I were to buy another one. Good luck.

5. We have one on a reg cab chevy and have a shovel crew go before the truck and can pull out a 160 unit townhome complex if the skid is down in 4 hours duing 15 at a time then cleans off the street.

6. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Nothing personal, but then you don't know how to really use one to it's fullest.

Back blades are useful for far more than just driveways or loading docks, at least if you have an Ebling type.

7. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

After years of back dragging drives I finely had enough of it last winter after we received an 8" wet snowfall. Back in July I pre ordered an 8' Daniels pull plow with poly cutting edges (still waiting for it though:() If you want to be productive, a rear pull plow is a must, as I've come to realize.

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Still waiting for it??? WTF!

Pull plows are worth all the money they cost. I have 2 Daniels and they are awesome.

9. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I would love to put one on every truck, i can only comment on the 16' ebling I've used but that thing is worth it's weight in gold. I really only used the V plow on the front when it came time to stack. however this was on commercial lots but on a lot of 2 car wide drives it took two quick swipes vs 3 or so it would take with the plow and the down pressure i was able to put on the blade peeled up most of the hard pack. i'd have to run over the same area 2-3x with the plow backdragging to get the same results.

10. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I ordered it direct from Daniels, it was supposed to be ready for shipment by Oct 1st, but due to manufacturing problems it has been pushed back to Nov 16th. I hope I have it before the first good snowfall.

11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

That sucks, can't imagine what the problem would be. Hope you get it.

12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I made one for my ATV and my sidewalk crew loves it There less shovel work
    For a truck work the same I been thinking adding one to my truck but I run tractors to and they do all the driveways and docks and parking spots For me at this time I have no use for one
    I like make one useing a Blizzard 8-10 or a wideout let trip

13. DLMINC

DLMINC Junior Member
    from MI

We run 9 eblings. 3 on tractors. The 5083 Deere is doing condos. We wouldn't have it any other way. Driveway times are cut drastically.

14. Thomas.Creation

Thomas.Creation Member

I do a fair amount of residential and use a Daniels. To be honest I won't have a truck without a rear plow again. I hate back dragging.

15. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

The first couple of years I just had a backdrag edge on my straight blade it it worked ok. Last year I got a back plow (or pull box as you call them) and my productivity more than doubled. My bread and butter driveways are 1- car wide by 3-8 cars long. Rather than pulling in, backdragging out 2-3 swipes, turn around, back in, push out 2 swipes, pull out, back up, stack snow....now I just back in, drop both plows, drive out, do that twice, pull out stack snow and goodbye!

16. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Daniel's is the only choice for residentials. I got one 2 years ago and I wonder why I didnt get 1 years earlier. The Eblings are nice too if doing bigger lots wide open with No hidden objects. Daniels for driveways of Homes is Ideal IMO. and it adds 3 ft in lenght but saves Time , Money, Tranny wear & tear and the rear of your vehicle backing into the street.

17. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

^^^^ I respectfully disagree ^^^^ :)

18. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Fyi, Ebling makes 8 foot pull plows (back plows) as well. Same quality as the 16 or 14 footers. We have used their services for over 40 years. Excellent organization.

19. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

I run artic back blades, Works awesome plus at $1800 installed you cant go wrong.

20. risin187

risin187 Member

arctic rear plow

Kaminski's I was quoted $2495 installed this yrs model they added and jack and something else.........

besides the price increase i will be buying another this yr. I have used it for 2 yrs now
    I will never be without a back plow ever!