1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pull plows are they worth it??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bossman 92, May 11, 2010.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey, I have been thinking for awhile about adding a pull plow to the mix, what do you guys think? We do only a couple driveways, but I think they would really shine for us due to the fact that we take care of 3 trucking hubs. I think (from what I have seen and read) they would help to clean out from under the fronts for better traction when they hook up. Also we have several large accounts with long pushes, and we have trouble loosing snow around the plow. I figured the pull plow would really help with the number of passes needed to clean the entire lot. All of our accounts have 1" triggers, and a few are zero tolorance, so we would be plowing before the snow accumulates too much.

What are everyones thoughts?

Thanks Andrew

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Guys that have them swear by them...I'm sure JD will chime in...

3. Bossman 92

Yea, I have never heard anyone who owns one say they didn't like them. I really thing that they will shine in cleaning up what snow runs around the plow. Ideally I would like to have loaders with pushers, but all my large accounts are spread out too far, so I think this approach would be second best.

Bossman

4. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have an ebling rear blade and look after 2 shipping yards/factories. Loading docks - just back in put it down, scrape out.. if there is a trailer on each side keep it in a box till you get past the jack stands then spread your wings and it will clean under the pins. Later take a drive by on the side and the wings will get under the pin. In combination with the front blade you can move ALOT of snow. The other benefit that I found last year was that when it was kind of mind we use to have a hard time in the back of this lumber yard which is gravel and run and rutted by the fork lifts... well with the ebling in box mode the wings act like skis and keep it from digging in. I made fast work of all the alley ways in between the lumber. Matched with a skid steer in the back of this yard I cut hours off my time. It takes a bit to figure out the right amount of pressure to apply and I would suggest a decent set of tires, as I found I would some times have so much snow I couldnt move, but I tend to over do it some times.

I had a similar situation with not wanting to have to drive or haul a bobcat across town just to clean around trailers. This solved it. Faster, Just as cleen, and 1 man.

Only down fall is your sticking out a few extra feet and you have to remember you can have up to 16ft behind you... watch out for those snow banks or hard pack :angry: when turning around with your wings out

Its a fraction of the cost compared to another pc of equipment.

5. MIDTOWNPC

Here is a picture. It carrys alot of snow.

TripleL and JD Dave have some videos you should check out.

wingit.jpg

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

An Ebling makes a pickup productive you won't be disappointed. If you need pricing give me a PM. I can ship you a blade out of Mi. Ebling is a very simple and proven back blade.

7. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Good info. I have been meaning to ask you to post pictures of your equipment. Nice looking truck. Keep the pictures coming.

8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

for me, any truck that doesnt have a spreader on it, can benifit from a rear plow in some way , shape or form. from both an efficancy stand point, and a end product quality. - both will in prove in some way PROVIDED that you have good operator in the cab that can identify when to use the front blade, rear blade or both.

9. JohnnyRoyale

I'm thinking I might try one this winter...anyone know of a local dealer?

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm sure Jeff will sell you one. :rolleyes:

11. JohnnyRoyale

I was joking big guy,,,

By the time Jeff or one of his guys sends a price on anything it will be 2011.

12. Bossman 92

Alright I give, where can I find those vids of Tripple L and JD Dave? Also all the videos on the net show these style plows being used with less than a couple inches on the ground, how well do they work with say 3 or 4 inches?

Bossman

13. MIDTOWNPC

As you can see, it really reaches far.

Lots of down pressure too.

when you get one it wont snow, so you have to plow dirt. lol

fronttruck.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  14. MIDTOWNPC

Well surprisingly you can actually windowrow with it.

Remember its hard to think that you dont have to back drag anything anymore.

You run your front and back blade... you can start your run with the front blade and use the rear to catch the over spill, or start with the rear blade and drop your front blade part way thru your run to the pile if its heavy.

You no longer have to worry about clearing a truck length in 1 direction before you push in the other direction because you can get right up against the edge of the lot with the rear blade.

You can drive along side the edge of a lot and use the wing in and out to match the contours of the lot edge rather then going in and out with the wheel.

15. Bossman 92

I don't suppose anyone has a pic of the control box do they? I am sure it's easy once you get the hang of it, but trying to run 2 plows while shifting seems like a circus. lol:jester:

Bossman

16. BIG"J"

BIG"J" Junior Member

well worth it

well worth it. saves time,money, headaches. the control is a small box with three toggle switchs. we mounted both controls on a piece of plywood with carpet on it and set on top of center console with bungees on it. mount the backblade control on a slight angle next to the other control and you should be able to run both plows with one hand. eblings # is 616 532 8400

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So was I string bean. LOL

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

19. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Nice looking rig, Midtown. Thanks for posting.

20. MIDTOWNPC

thanks. I like the red

Dave installed the ebling.