1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pull plow help

Discussion in 'Daniels Plows Discussion' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Nov 9, 2008.

1. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey guys, I bought a daniels pull plow the otherday from my old boss. (were still on good terms.) Anyway. I ran all the hydro lines and power and controller and what not. and hooked it up for the first time yesterday and I wasn't able to lift the plow or apply any down pressure. Checked the fluid level and its full. Also checked for air lock, and its fine. I am thinking its the valves and the cylinder. The plow did sit outside unused all last winter so I am thinking the packing or something got water in it, and it froze and wrecked something. The pump was inside all last year too. :help:, cause its starting to snow!

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

does the motor "bog down" like its trying to work , and jsut cant becasue of the packign nut? I know when i mounted one, a few year back - i lososened a bold on the side of the pump manifold , as it looked liek a really nice place to ground the pump,.... turned out i had the same problem you did -

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

I never thought about that I will try that out and see if it makes a difference.

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Figured it out. I am a dumbazz. I had the quicl coupler on the "up" hydro line not on all the way. I touched it and it fell off. It just wasn't seated on the male end of the coupler. Everything works like it should now.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Okay, so another question. Can I add a different cylinder to get more lift out of my plow? I have the bracket that the cylinder mounts to all the way up, but I would like to get some more lift out of the plow. Is this possible?

6. progressivelawn

progressivelawn Member

your answer is yes a taller cyclinder will go higher or lower can we see a pic ?

7. elite1msmith

from chicago

or .... if you got a welding guy, a cheaper fix is to extend the lift arm a few inches... the down side is , you might not get as much down pressure force.... but that effect should be minimal, I have found the DP is almost too much anyway -

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

I can take some pics, as soon as I figure out how big of a cylinder I need. Any thoughts? I get about 5 inches of travel now. And would like to get about 8 or so.

9. elite1msmith

from chicago

a longer cylinder might not work , ..... if its longer that means that your lift arm will no longer be level when the plow is down , it will be up on an angle...., you will have to lower the speed hitch assemby, which you will lose grond clearance. Also , i dont know how yours is , but mine would almost raise that lift arm at a 75 degree angle. you cant go more than 90 degrees, and the "travel distance" between 75 and 90 will be very minimual becasue the arm swings on an arc. infact you might find that becasue your losing the 0 - 15 degree range (due to the taller cylinder) you might have the reverse effect and loss travel lenght-

the best way is to extend your lift arm

or if you still want a longer cyclinder, you will need to remake your speed hitch

if your going to extend the arm , like i said you will loss some down pressure force in the process, what you could do , try to see if you can get a fater (larger diamiter) cylinder to regain that loss

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008