1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pull engine to change spark plugs

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by diesel dave 04, Dec 3, 2012.

1. diesel dave 04

diesel dave 04 Senior Member

What a mess. i plowed tuesday last week all was fine. wed. i went to move the truck and blew a spark plug out. here it rusted so bad around the base of it that it blow out and the threads stayed in the head. I tried for an hr. to get the threads out and then figured i would just pull the engine because the rest would brake anyway when i went to remove them.
    Friday I was off work so I ripped the engine out and cut the exhaust manafolds off 3 of the 4 plugs broke on the pass side wound up getting them out with a little heat and a easy out. had to drill out 8 exhaust manafold bolts.
    I put a new water pump on and new manafolds new plugs and i will be putting it back in tomight.
    Also ran new tranny cooler lines from the trans to the rad.

Plowing is so much fun..

2. camp61

camp61 Member

You might want to think about changing the oil pan as long as you have it out. Had a 95 F-250 with 460CI. Motor had to be pulled to change oil pan as it was rusted and leaking. $60 in parts $900 in labor!

3. diesel dave 04

changed the pan last oct. when i was getting ready for plowing that is all good.I didnt have to remove the engine fo that.
    However i have to of these Broncos and the other one needs a pan so I guess it will be next. I may just pull the engine do the pan the exh. manafolds and plugs and tranny lines. that one has a new water pump on it.

4. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

u would get it all done at once that way should be in and out in 1 day

5. diesel dave 04

Im doing it all at once But i spent the first 10 hrs removing the enging and removing broken exhaust studs and spark plugs the engine is back in but was having an issue getting a new EGR tube got 2 from napa that would not fit so went to ford and spent $72 on the ford one but it fit lol. should have her running tonight.

6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i thought i was the only one...... i actually was replacing exhaust manifolds on 96 F350 5.8 when every other bolt started snapping. knowing the spark plugs would break on me too and the fact that i had to replace the oil pan and the radiator support, i pulled it all. sucked at the time, but no regrets doing it. everything got done and done right. also painted the block and frame while i was at it. all new brake lines too.....

7. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

8. diesel dave 04

looks good dude, Mine is a plow truck so i didnt put that much time into it. but my next step will be a new rad suport on this one. but I have two of these i will have to do the oil pan and spark plugs on the other one first. it is a full time job keeping these trucks ready to push snow. i hope we make the $$$ back this season.

9. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

To bad it wasn't a "diesel dave"

10. diesel dave 04

I want to do that. I would like to take a doner F-350 or 250 and put the engine trans and full drivetrain in the bronco. I may still do it.