1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pull chords!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by WIPensFan, Jan 16, 2012.

1. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

The other day my new helper that rides with me snapped the pull chord on one of our older Toro single stage blowers. No matter how many times I explain the procedure for starting them they F-it up and end up pulling the chord 10 times and then it SNAPS! I realize it's not his fault really, but it still pisses me off. Basically you have to tear apart the whole machine to fix the pull chord. MY MAIN QUESTION IS, WHY CAN'T SOMEONE INVENT A PULL CHORD THAT WILL NEVER BREAK!!

We can have Smart Phones, Smart Water, GPS, Touchscreen everything, Voice Recognition, Super strong Plastics, but they still make the pull chords on machines we rely on every day, out of yarn!! I mean, can't they weave some Kevlar in there or something?? I'll pay the extra $30-40 to know I'll never have to worry about it getting frayed and SNAPPING!! Hopefully one of you "Smart" humans will invent this and make a Gazillion dollars. RANT OVER.

2. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I feel your pain. I run about 8 snow blowers and it was endless. I tried expensive cords, everything! I just decided one year to replace all cords no matter what every Fall. A pain, but no problems since.

I have always thought 12 volt starters of a lead from the truck would do the trick. All of our blower already have 120 volt starters. Would be nice during storms. Also, we leave them running a majority of the time during storms. A lottle noisy going down the road, but oh well.

3. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

There's just not enough demand. Maybe you could make your own out of stronger rope?

I wonder what the next weakest link is. If the cord doesn't break, what will break instead?

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

whats a "pull chord"?:alien:

5. theholycow

Ever played reggae on a guitar? You strum your chords by pulling up on the off-beat instead of pushing down on the normal beat. :p

6. WIPensFan

:D So I spelled CORD wrong, I'm a landscaper, what do you expect?

7. WIPensFan

Not enough demand?? There's one on almost every machine I own: sodcutter, bededger, backpack blowers, snow blowers, hand held blower, sidewalk edger, rototiller, lawnmower.

As far as stronger rope, what do you suggest that will still fit within the spool and through the holes?

8. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

they do its not a pull cord tho

9. WIPensFan

:confused: Please clarify.

10. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Hey only pull chord I know is on a banjo

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  12. WIPensFan

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

why? cause she wasnt gonna give you any last night?:laughing:

14. greg8872

greg8872 Member

Was gonna recommend this item, but they don't make them anymore! We put one on our old snow thrower that would not run the best, and put a drill holster on the thing. I used to do my entire block to the elementary school, so when I pushed it too far and it died out, this made it so much easier to start back up several houses away. (eventually, replaced the who things with a new Ariens, which is how I found this place, researching that brand!)

When engine was warm, worked really well, Also had one on old mower, once started that thing ran great, but kill yourself for initial starting... (yeah, I know computers, not small engines LOL)

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTEUnpublishedItem?storeId=6970&langId=-1&rfno=14062

-Greg

15. snocrete

snocrete Banned

16. WIPensFan

Interesting, but the spool is inside the cover for these blowers.

Don't worry, I can take it.:gunsfiring::D
    Looks like some strong rope but I think it's to thick. I will measure the rope I just used to fix the broken one today and compare. If it's close I will give it a shot, thanks.

17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I would imagine there is enough room to go up .5 - 1mm in rope size....what I posted is 5.5mm. Maybe you may need 5, if whats on there is 4 or 4.5mm????

18. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

If you're buying the cheap white cord from the hardware store, that's your problem. Go to a small engine shop and get the strong blue & black stuff. Also, make sure you put as much rope on it as will possibly fit so they're not always pulling it to the end of the rope.

My Dad in his infinite wisdom many years ago, decided to use small diameter cable to "fix" this common problem. Besides wearing through the aluminum recoil housings, it would dam near break you arm if the saws didn't fire on the first pull...............

19. theholycow

There's plenty of demand for new ropes but most of the market isn't interested in a $35 stronger rope.

I bet it wouldn't be hard to use thicker rope. You might just have to drill out the grommet and put in a larger one (which, granted, may be tough to find - but you could rig your own). Otherwise, I've seen plastic rope that seems stronger than the average nylon/cotton/whatever pull cord. Whatever you do, don't use steel cable, that's a workers comp claim waiting to happen.

20. WIPensFan

Yeah, I hear ya on the extra length, but it's not easy to do given the way they are designed. The one I replaced was put on by the dealer after the original snapped. It had a black outer with a white inner rope.

The wheel that you wrap the CORD Thumbs Up around is plastic and narrow, so if you try drilling it, it will either break or be very weak after you tie it off there.