1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Public to Private

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Rampart Ranger, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

:waving:

Recently retired from CDOT where I operated a variety of $300k plus snow removal equip including tandem plows w 12 ft wings, deicing tankers up to 6000 gal (yeah we were overloaded on that 3 axle 40 ft tanker, exempt due to declared emergency), truck mounted blowers, and CAT graders w bullplow & wing.

Obviously, moving to my own private business, I will not have such an extravagant equipment budget!:cry:

My avatar shows my old home plow after I snowmobiled in to the house after plowing for the state on 18 hr shifts for 5 days straight last year. Believe it or not, half the snow from that spring storm had already melted back! We had to blow 10 miles of state highway to get to my access road. My horses were NOT happy, having to depend on neighbors skiing in to feed them while I attended to public safety.:nono:

My plan is to mount a V plow to my F350 (the old home plow burned to the ground at the end of that storm) and try to make a bit of a living opening the multitude of privately maintained roads and drives in my local area. A "V" plow is required as I will likely have to break trail through more than 18" of wet snow on initial passes, up steep grades. In our locale a plow without chains on all axles is usually a snowbound obstruction to the plow or loader that finally opens the road.

I would like to extend my congratulations, and support to all of you who have made successful businesses of private snow removal, and hopefully join the ranks!:salute:

2. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Welcome. Good luck with your ventures. If you have questions, this is the place to ask! Lots of information here.

3. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Hey welcome to the plow site! I am not sure exactly where you are from, but if your first pass is 18" heavy and wet, and all you have is an f-350, I would probably sell that and invest in a small payloader. Good luck

4. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Range, Colorado - the reason we love that "Champaign Powder" is the fact that that other stuff is so dang hard to deal with. We get plenty of both. Normally Jan - early Mar is fluffy & dry - easy to plow and great for skiing. Fall & spring is wet & heavy... plus a lot more accumulation (and profit if geared right).

Give me a CAT 140H with bullplow & wing! Whoops, even articulating she won't navigate these roads!xysport

Thanks for your encouragement!

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

sure seems like youve got a plan together and with that experience, you know what you are doing! what brands are you most interested in for your V-plow?

6. Brothers

Brothers Junior Member
    from Toronto

help

i have a few shovels i could lend ya .. :dizzy:

7. Rampart Ranger

The old home plow was a Western - first on a '69 Blazer, then on an '84 Bronco, then an '86 Bronco. Twenty years, one plow, three trucks. Now, to be fair, there was a bit of repair (mostly A frame welding) over the years. That plow survived the fire and is even now waiting for an old rat truck to mate to.:rolleyes:

Think I'll stick with Western, go with a MVP+.