1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

public storage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowman55, Sep 14, 2012.

1. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

what nat'l got the contract for public storage? they thought they had problems before? Need replace work for 3 trucks, 3 skids, and 2 salt trucks. I sure as he!! not working for a nat'l. bet it lasts like usm and walmart.
  2. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

sms assist got them.....
  3. snowman55

funney they wanted me to do a best buy 3 acres plow shovel and salt for $240 total. Told them that would cover a salting came all the way up to $475 told him to pound sand somewhere else.

I was at about $150,000 for 11 sites bet sms offers me $50,000 this year.
  4. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

HA I got the huge list of those. I seen the price and I about crapped my pants I politley said no thanks. We focus on quality not quantity. I was told you only need plow trucks no heavy equipment..... I laughed. They don't see the work involved in these kinda of jobs they just see square feet thats it. But on some of SMS job sites the prices are fair. I will be plowing some of there sites this winter but not the storage units.
  5. snowman55

Yeah I got a packet to. even if it were wide open lots who could plow,salt, shovel and icemelt
    2.75 acres for $300? Public storage is about as difficult as it comes no way your doing them with just a truck.
  6. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

I have plowed the storages for years and was shocked they went with a national company. In northeast ohio we are pounded by lake effect snow. Working for national firms in the past has been a nightmare, we had to contract with accu weather for snow totals, unfortunetly many of the sites did not have reporting stations close by , so the airport would list 1.8 inches of snowfall and our site would have a foot. Also with the drifting and snow falling off of roofs at the storages a four inch snowfall could easily yield several inches of snow.
  7. snowman55

Are you going to work with SMS? No way I can. I would want more than when it was my account for all the bs hoops they want you to jump thru. Who could possibly plow, shovel, ice melt, and salt 2.75 acres for $300 or even $600
  8. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, i have never herd of #'s like that.. we are all per push
  9. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

submitted prices to SMS they told me I was outrageous lol good luck to the lowballer who will have the pleasure of plowing these!
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  10. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, I'm glad there is no national storage brands here, just alot of individuals that own storage lots. I've never plowed one though, but that seems low. They all look to be a pita to plow.
  11. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

If this is a open lot push then $600 isn't bad money for that lot...jmo
  12. jbovara

jbovara Junior Member

You are under the assumtion that companies that use national snow managment companies care about how the parking lot looks. Its all bout passing risk and liability to the next guy. The national snow managment company buys risk and liabilty from the location to come up with a contract value. Once they sell it on to the person actually doing the work there money is allready made.
  13. snowman55

And how did that work out for Walart and USM
  14. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Local managers may want quality, but the bean counter in a cubicle half way across the country doesn't care - he only cares about the check he has to write.

It's becoming more and more common every year. You can talk about the Wal Mart issues, doesn't matter. You can turn the work down, someone will do it.

The people that will do the work maybe do not understand their real costs of doing the work, maintaining and replacing the equipment, taxes etcc or they are just huge players in this business that can operate on low single digit margins.

Whatever it is, it's here to stay and it's only going to get worse. Find your niche, do it well and charge accordingly. The inly thing you can count on is lower wages, higher costs.
  15. jbovara

jbovara Junior Member

When stores accross the nation get hit with a blizzard on black Friday and stores with sub par vendors cant get shoppers in and out of the parking lot then things will change.
  16. snowbrothers101

snowbrothers101 Senior Member

SMS Assist? My side hurts from laughing. They make Dentco look like Superstars!
  17. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Don't kid yourself on that.

1) The bean counters track sales and costs reoprted up the ladder. What bean counter is going to say their dept screwed up and hired XYZ who couldn't get it done and therefore sales were down?

2) A blizzard on a big sales day? If Johhny on the spot has the lot black and wet, it makes no difference because Suzy can't get her Kia down the interstate or city road. Although we all know, it seems everyone needs to shop during big snow events.

3) Joey no show gets there late, if at all, you think that's gonna stop Suzy from pulling in that parking lot? It may stop her from leaving but it isn't stopping her from entering. And she'll probably park infront of that snowbank or in an uncleared area.

It is what it is, corporate America is in the same situation as every individual person or small business. Costs are rising, incoming is stagnet or decreasing. It's not greed, it's need. To maintain, costs need cut which may or may not lead to less quality.

To the people that say it's corporate greed, look at your own finances. Are you being greedy when you ask for a raise because it costs you more to eat and drive?

We've been buying Chineese junk for how long now? Have you ever been to a Harbor Freight store and seen how busy it is with people buying throw away tools? Our culture has been changing over the years, good quality parts or work isn't desired like it used to be.
  18. snowman55

anyone in mn signed up with sms? have they found contractors for th 44 locations at these prices? will they be calling the night before a storm offering decent pay to take them on? they wanted me to do 22 of them, that is at least 4 dedicated skids and trucks and salt trucks
  19. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

So just so I'm clear...these prices cant work, right? So if I have wheel loaders with pushers that drive by 2 ps it doesn't make sense to take on a little extra work swing in there and push it quick? Come on, some of you guys need some serious economics help.
  20. snowman55

I don't know what the public storages look like by you but an 8'ft pusher on a skid is tight on some of them. Plus are you going to park the loader while you shovel? where you gonna carry the icemelt? got 2 tons of salt and a spreader on your loader? snow gates are 8" wide, how are you going to push all the snow into storage areas? + your are on the hook for ALL liability, and the contract has numerous outs for them to not pay you.

Saying I don't get it, because you can just" swing in there and push it quick?" Is the same as SMS bidding these sites without even physically veiwing them.

I get economics. minored in it. I agree most don't. Opportunity cost is the most unconsidered cost. I spend 100's of hours watching the weather, making plans, checking sites. I require compensation for that. While I am doing these things I am missing opportunities to do something else with that time.

Average person gets 657,000 hours of life. 140,000 ave spent in childhood, 114,000 are spend in retirement if your lucky. leaving 403,000 hours of my life to allocate to sleep, family, work, and things I enjoy. I value every one of those because I can get no more.