1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Public service discount?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by countryboy1365, Jan 18, 2011.

1. countryboy1365

countryboy1365 Member

Do any of you give a discount for public service individuals or locations? In the case of say a fire station or volunteer firefighter or EMT? Just curious, I do a local fire house parking lot for free and was wondering if any of you gave a discount.
  2. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

I keep my prices fair for all my clients. I price for the work that needs to be done, not who signs the check.
  3. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

exactly. I wouldnt do a place like that for free. Those are 24/7 zero tolerance sites. You need to constantly be there to scrap off the lightest accumulations and salt the crap out of them. I would certainly give them a break on pricing but I am still going to make a few $ off them. Usually Im getting $65/hr for a truck, I might go down to 50/hour for them. Im still making money, just not a killing.

Around here though, the DPW usually just sends a truck over to clear the lots for them. And they dump about 1000lbs of salt on about .5 acres. Theres always salt laying there.
  4. countryboy1365

countryboy1365 Member

the reason im doing it for free is because its an at my convenience job, no salt. The township dpw takes care of the lot for the trucks the lot i do is just the lot for the firefighters to park in.And its down the road from my house.
  5. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

For the ones that would charge the fire dept..
    Take a look at the bill when your house is on fire, see if they get there extra fast for you!

Not sure were it was, but it was on the news some time ago about some older couple not paying there Fire dept fee, the fire dept just watched the house burn.... yes fire dept fees are wrong, but still....

Public Service, I would do for free if I was homeless and had only just enuff fuel to do the job.
    There there to help us when we need it, I only want to return the favor.
  6. countryboy1365

countryboy1365 Member

Also failed to mention I'm a fire fighter there
  7. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

that was something that was needed to be told:eek::D
  8. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Let's see, taxpayer funded service for the general population versus a luxury service for a client that is only paying for services they receive. Sorry, that's apples to oranges. Nice try.
  9. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I live in the south, we just do things different down here. We still do favors with out wanting something in return and we still marry our cousins, I guess I just don't understand.

Taxpayer funded service yes. but the people that work there are still people and do people things.

lets see
    Both are fruit, Apples grow on trees, Oranges grow on trees,Trees are made of wood, wood burns, make fire, burn witches,fire dept come put out fire ...I don't see a problem here.
  10. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

You might be able to write off that account for a "fair market value" . talk to your cpa
  11. Tubby's Snow Plowing

My father was a fireman for 34 years before he retired. I know how it is.

You are comparing a general service to an individual service. Firemen serve the general population. Snow removal by contractor on the other hand serves the individual client. See the difference?

I always get a kick out of these types of threads about discounts and discounts for certain entities or professions; all manner of industry forums, not just snow removal. There's always this "line". Firefighters. How about police? EMTs? Doctors, health care professionals, garbage men, plumbers, electricians, teachers, correctional officers, mental health professionals? Discounts for them too, since they are all doing a public service at some level? To select a few occupations that receive preferential treatment or pricing above others is silly, IMO. No single occupation is more important than any other. They are all important as society wouldn't function without them.

My service is priced for those that want it, no matter their occupation. I don't care what my clients do for a living. I want to be paid for my services I provide and paid on time. Sorry, my services I provide are not worth anything less than what I charge to perform them, which is why I charge what I charge. I charge what my service is worth. If you agree with that, then you are my client. If you don't agree with the value/price of my service, then you become someone else's client. My best friend and my worst enemy get charged the same price and receive the same quality service they pay to receive. Period.

If someone else wants to discount their services or offer free services to whomever, that's their prerogative and not my concern. Do I discount my services? Absolutely not.
  12. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

I plow two Firehouses and an Ambulance Corps, and yes I charge all of them even my Firehouse. We are in this to make money and they have budgeted funds for this kind of maintenance. I do however clear around some Hydrants with my plow for free only because if I don't we will have to shovel them out on a drill night.
    I guess offering a discounted rate is okay but do not sell yourself short.
  13. no way for free.
    I personally know of 3 plowing companies that are run by firefighters. When one is on duty the other is out cutting grass or plowing as needed...they make over a hundred grand from the city and they feel the need to steal jobs from normal hardworking plowers.....Free, hell no
    They should shut down their side companies and leave some work for others.
  14. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Not at all....why would you?? They already operate using our money. When they get home they can shovel their own driveway and sidewalk, or pay someone to do this if they so choose. They also need to perform normal services on their facilities just like any other business, and pay for said services through the proper procurement process.

Now on the other hand, I did as a matter of fact just pick up another military family today that we will do for free......they are the one's that are the most deserving of something free from the public. It's the very least we can do for them.

15. Tubby's Snow Plowing

No such thing as a free lunch.
  16. stan the man

stan the man Senior Member
    from maine

good of you i have 3 military familys i do for free
  17. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You the man Stan! :drinkup:
  18. stan the man

stan the man Senior Member
    from maine

thank you i did 20 years in the army retried got to help our troops some how. i have 4 house rental and i rent to family in the in the service and i take care of all the mowing and plowing to. if they are short on rent i let ride and they can catch up it is hard of a family that has a family member that has member in the service. so i plow 7 for free including my rentals
  19. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I'm on the Project Evergreen list, but nobody's called yet...They do so much for us, I'd love to give something back. God Bless our troops!!!
  20. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Here is what we do, speaking from ym firefighter side. We have a contractor that does the lot for free for us as we are a private fire contractor. We inreturn give him a form (forget what tax form) so he can write it off on his taxes.