1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PU or Bobcat??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GMSNOW, Mar 15, 2007.

GMSNOW Member

I currently run 1 pu for my commercial and residential plowing. I am wanting to add either a 2nd PU or considering a bobcat/front loader to my inventory.

For those who have used a bobcat for snow plowing - do you find this vehicle more productive than a PU? What are the pros vs. cons with a bobcat/front loader for snow plowing?

I am looking at keeping my current PU and buying a new one next fall. Cost around $35,000. Or I am thinking buying a bobcat as my primary plowing tool and keeping my current truck as the back up and replacing it with a new one after paying off the bobcat. The bobcat looks like around $15,000 plus a plow. My truck is a 2004 Dodge 3/4 with approximately 44,000 miles - its in good shape. I think I will be able to payoff the bobcat within 1.5 - 2 yrs.

Any input will be appreciated.

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Bobcats arenot a replacement for a truck. In the right place they are awesome. But over all I wouldn't plan on replacing a truck with one. We have been using them since 2001. I have 2 a 773 & 873. And with bobcats each has own set of faults. Defintly an addition to your fleet just not a replacement.
  3. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Senior Member

Ever try back dragging wet snow with a Bobcat? :dizzy:

The snow bucket is a must if you do parking lots.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  4. jss304

jss304 Junior Member

We plow both retirement villages and commercial lots. The Bobcats are equiped with 8" homeade powerangle plows (meyer snowplows with crossover valves-much cheaper than buy one from an equipment dealer), or buckets for deep snow. The loaders work great in the retirement villages that we do, as we can pull up to the garage door and back drag to the end of the driveway (the driveways are short and wide). When backdragging with a bobcat, you're able to place more downpressure on the plow than you could with the pickup blade. There is nothing that comes close to a bobcat in tight spaces. However, if you are plowing areas with longer straight aways, the trucks are the way to go, because they're a lot faster. We usually pair a truck and a bobcat, and this seems to be the most efficient method. So it all depends on what type of plowing you do more, and wether or not you can drop the bobcats off before the storm and let them sit at the site until the snow is over. Pulling one of those things on a trailer in deep snow is not fun.

GMSNOW Member

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the info. I have never used a skid loader to snow plow. Like I said I have 1 truck and I have grown my business and like/need to have a backup source to plow snow. That being either another truck wich will cost me $30m plis insurance... or I thought a skid loader. I ask this because I need to pull the trigger and buy something before next winter. And while I was out this past season I was plowing a parking and a guy came to the parking next to me with a bobcat with atleast a 10' plow blade and he was done and gone before I even finished.

What I saw was speed as he was able to plow one direction and spin and plow coming back faster than I could make one swipe and the back all the way up and make another swipe. I find trying to turn around while in 4 wheel drive is slowing than just backing up.

Thanks for the feedback.

6. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Im in the same position, with time being against me too. I have a normal job that I have to start at 6am so it makes it really tight sometimes. A Bobcat would make my job alot faster, I could save wear and tear on my truck (personal truck), and I'd have a backup. Right now Im just looking, not quite sure if I want to take the plunge though.
  7. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

We use the baby Bobcat (463) with a SB150 4 foot snow blower, It goes out on the back of its 'mother ship' Chevy 2500HD flat decked 6.6 Duramax 8-2 V-Boss . Like the man says its for tight manouvering. multiple small driveways, small storage yard alleyways, city sidewalks in one pass. We've collected a list of lots over the years that are open 7/24 factories and private utility yards, always vehicles in them. The Bobcat can get in a 7 foot wide slot. spin around and come out blowing. Moving the Bobcat site to site is definitely the drawback in them.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

same here

We have a truck with sander and plow and bobcat. We drive the bobcat to the different locations as they are all pretty close. Dad runs the truck and sander. We have a sidewalk guy who does shoveling and salting and opens gates for us. We do alot of loading docks and parking lots. Basically I go in with the bobcat, back drag 6 ft, drive in turn around push out from in between trailers and loading docks and get the snow out to a central artery. Then we square things off and the truck comes in and starts windrowing. Then I use the bobcat to take a big section of the windrow and stack it. Seems to make it easier for the truck as he can take more of a swipe. The thing with the bobcat that we find is depending on the lot you can plow both ways with the bobcat where as a truck has to back up and push, backup and push. With the bobcat if you can put piles in both sides I plow a strip, pick up the bucket and dump about 2 ft from the bank, spin around, drop and got the other way, then take a pass and clean up the banks and spillage near the piles and go on to the next side. It is a great combination of equipment. I just need to make up a coffee backpack with a straw and a butt/back masager and 18 hours would be a breeze. We run an S300.
  9. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

ill tell u what to do with a bob cat....trailer it to residental areas and park somewhere get in it and drive around....we have one of our guys do this and in one hr he made 300 cash...now if we needed it where we were at we could have put it there but as soon as we didnt we sent it out to do drivways...so nice and easy went out for 5hrs

i guess u can do driveways with a truck but we also use our bob cat to get in tight spots and next to cars in the parkin lot or in dumpster cut outs...drivetru at the bank...we have a lot of use out of it