1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PTO Snowblower & chains

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Woodland, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I'm going to be putting a 60" snowblower on our 34hp Kubota this winter to do the shop lot and a couple of drives real close by. The tractor has liquid filled rear tires, industrials all around, and the snowblower will be a rear mount. Am I asking for trouble if I don't put chains on the rear tires? If so, any ballpark figures on prices for a set?
  2. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Asumming your are working on asphalt, chains can take their toll. Home owner's also won't appreciate spins on their drives. A lot a people down here use driveway sealers which are fairly soft as well. My experience comes from using studded Hakki chains on my machine of the same approx horse power. They have big Ags on them though instead of industrials.

My case hardened chains coming from Finland look like the Valby ones you find in catalogs. If you have 4wd and perhaps a locking rear dif on demand(my 1070 has a foot/heal lever which automaticly disengages when the slipping stops) you shouldn't have too much of a problem unless grades are steep. With studded chains on the rear only, there's no stopping it though. I never remove mine but I also don't move snow on asphalt. If you ever work in the woods with your machine, chains are awesome. Wet wood, ledge etc doesn't provide good purchase for rubber and the chains do their job well.

I got mine though the Logging suppy (I forget the name and a search brings up nothing) based in NH and ME. I think I picked them up in N. conway. They used to have about 4 or 5 stores and a catalog with all the best loggers stuff. Ah well it'll come to me. They also sold reg studdless models in the Finnish boron steel that really is the best quality and not much more than domestic stuff. Of course that was 10 years ago.
  3. Neige

Neige Sponsor

The big question is it 4wd. If so you won't need the chains, unless you are dealing with serious slopes. Even then I still don't use chains, to much chance of marking the asphalt.
  4. DKG

DKG Senior Member

I don't use chains on mine. It is 4WD though.
  5. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Thanks for the responses guys. The tractor is 4wd and all of the drives are gravel, not asphalt. One is relatively steep, probably a 30 degree slope, maybe 40' with a curve to it and a drop on one side. Sounds like I might give it a try without the chains and see how it goes. I can pick up a set of chains pretty easy if I have to. There are several large equipment dealers just down the road. Plus, there is a Labonville store about a mile from me. I'm assuming, DeereGuy, that is the outfit you were trying to think of? It's a great store.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  6. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

You will be fine without chains. Is the 60 inch blower wide enough for your tractor? On my Kubota L series the smallest blower I have is 72 inches.
  7. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Ya that's it Labonville. They have the best chains available. If you are on gravel I'd go with the Hakki type that has two rows of studded chain running straight around the tread. They don't give'em away though. I can't beleive they didn't show up in a search. That is what is wrong with the internet. Some of the best stuff is exempted when you do a search. I don't really understand how google and ask.com didn't come up with something. Ah well. good luck Woodland. You will most probably have to cut them down and being case hardened steel a torch was an easy way to do it as I recall.