1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pto or Central hydrolics ??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Tom Smith, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

I have an 05 F550 Diesel ..... Its getting a crysteel dump bed installed soon and im trying to decide if i should get the pto driven bed.... or should i go with the central hydrolics. I need to buy a plow for this truck ( western 9' pro plus) so i could utilize this for the plow instead of the electric plow pump. What do u guys think would be the best way to go. I think central hydrolics would cost 2 or 3 grand more. But like i said i could use it for plowing and it might be more responsive then the electric system which gets slow after alot of plowing... and i would be able to raise the bed while the truck is moving with the tailgate spreader.

another question... should i get a western 9' pro plus for this truck..... the only thing i dont like about it is that it does not have a TRIP EDGE like my western MVP does.... instead the whole plow trips.... I was told a trip edge is better then the whole plow tripping. The truck will be used to do larger commercial lots...... Just looking for some opinions... hate to get the wrong setup... Thanks !!

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

If this is a manual tranny truck, go with a PTO driven dump bed hydraulics.

3. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

no its an auto trans

4. Tarkus

Well that kinda sucx for a PTO driven pump. Looks like you better go the expensive route.

5. tuna

tuna Senior Member

New Super Duties have a PTO provision on the Auto trans.

6. Tarkus

Yes but a PTO on a automatic is not as nice as one on a stick

7. FIREDUDE26

FIREDUDE26 Member

I went threw the same delemma last year, i bought a truck with a electric over hyd already on it, i had it taken off and a central hyd put on. what a difference, dumps 3 times as fast and is alot smoother. I just talked to dealer yesterday about puttinig a plow on it using the same hyd, the only downfall to that is the plow movement is very fast, side to side. If you install flow controls then you restrict to much and have a heat problem. He advised me to just have a normal plow installed and use the central hyd for a spreader off of the rear. Besides when i get the blade it will be a boss and you dont see those with that style hook up. Cost wise by the time you by the plow and have it installed it will cost you the same either way.give or take a few bucks.

8. Tarkus

I would think that a flow restrictor in line to plow would not cause any real heat issues to speak of and even if it did warm it some you could simply put a cooler in the low pressure return circuit of sufficant flow capacity. Flow restrictor are used on aircraft all the time