1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pto driven dump bed

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by randomb0b123, Dec 3, 2012.

1. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

found an aluminum truckcraft flatbed for a great price and grabbed it. its going to replace my cheapy steel flatbed. i would really like to make this bed dump since it is plenty strong enough to hold up to it. i have been thinking my truck already has enough work to do electrically and my np205 transfer case has pto provisions. what all would be involved in getting that going?

2. randomb0b123

from america

ive only used stick shift pto dump trucks. how would this work on my stupid shifomatic sophisticated transmission?

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well for probally ease I would say electric over hydraulic. Way easier to deal with and install

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

It would work fine.Your tranny simply needs to be in neutral upon PTO use.

5. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Unless you plan on simultaneously raising the plow and the bed, I don't think you're looking at any issue with how much work your truck has to do electrically. Electric dumps are just so much nicer to work with and have no real disadvantages...it's not like automatic vs. manual transmissions where you get real advantages for little extra work.

Use all that extra energy and garage time to swap out that slushbox for a real transmission.

6. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

If you're doing a lot of dumping a pto cycles faster. Also my truck is an auto and you just flip a switch and dump. No need to be jn neutral. That would be a dealbreaker for me as i always need to pull up while dumping

7. dieselss

all our pto autos,,,can be in drive or reverse with the pto on. to engage it, out in d or r pull pto level, the n to operate bed

8. tuney443

Should have elaborated more.Depending on what your setup is,and whether a Muncie or a Chelsea PTO is being used,usually having your tranny in gear while engaging or disengaging the PTO,then put the tranny in N.Best to follow manufacturers directions though--lots of different possible combos out there.

9. dieselss

I think there all Chelsea tuney,,, and that's what the stickers say on the tks from the manufacture

10. randomb0b123

from america

this trans still works perfect so i cant bring myself to take it out. when i wear it out ill definitley make it an nv4500.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  11. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

As far as slush boxes that was one thing Dodge could do really well.

12. tuney443

Muncie is also a major player in PTO's.

13. randomb0b123

from america

alright unfortunatley cost is killing this idea im gonna have to go electric even though thats not my preference... new question, the hoist is rated for 3200 psi so i am i correct to assume i should get the closest to 3200 psi pump/motor i can find? would this make for the fastest dumping?

14. dieselss

No not fastest,,,just strong

15. randomb0b123

from america

ok cool im not that knowledgeable with this stuff its kinda new to me. what should i be looking for in the pump? highest gpm? would that make for fastest dumping? am i worrying about something very insignificant here? if im only going to lose like 5-10 seconds thats no problem i just dont want to be sitting there waiting for the bed to dump for minutes. also how do i know what size reservoir it should have?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  16. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

just some corrected info for others .

if you have a pto on the t-case then tranny has to be in a gear . or the internals of the tcase wont spin and run the pto on the tcase. but put the tcase in n position as it will spin the pto of the input gear teeth .

and watch your self on pto drives on tcase . if you run tranny in to tall a gear you can over spin the pto driven item or if reverse can hurt somthing if not made to run in reverse.

lots of off road guys do a tcase pto drive for inbed winches to give them line speed in forward gears and reverse power out if tranny is put in reverse.

17. randomb0b123

from america

18. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

You can calculate the fluid that the cylinder will hold based on the diameter and stroke of the unit. Also, it matters if it a 2 way setup (power up power down). If not, you can set up the top of the cylinder as an extra reservoir, but sometimes that can be a PITA.

19. randomb0b123

from america

im going to use gravity down. thats what my dump insert had and came down plenty fast i didnt have to wait for it long and i figure thats less wear on my battery and alternator. how do i calculate the cylinder capacity?

20. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

3.14 * ( .5 * cylinder diameter)^2 * stroke = volume