1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PTO Central Hydraulics on a Standard Tranny

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by bterry, Oct 28, 2006.

1. bterry

bterry Senior Member

I've got an F350 diesel 4x4 with the ZF 5 speed and pto hydraulics to run the dump cylinder, works great, no problems. Clutch must be out for pump to run.

I want to install a tailgate replacement spreader and was told by one dealer that shifting is going to be a big issue and I might not be able to shift while spreading salt. Apparently, the load from the pump will make shifting difficult. The way I see it, either he's wrong and it won't be that difficult, or I'll have to spread in 1st gear. Spreading in 1st probably will work because we are doing parking lots and will rarely need to go that fast anyway. Any thoughts or experience on this?

Also, should I hook the spreader valves up before the dump valve or after? It's not a load balancing system, btw.

2. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I've used older dump trucks that work like this.

You have to stay in first or second gear to keep the RPMs up and throw the salt. But when you are spreading salt you arn't constantly changing gears anyways. You stay in a low gear and go along.

3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

You really need a engine driven hydraulic system to run an under tailgate unit.

4. Brannick's Snow

Brannick's Snow Member
    from ohio

Spreader valve after the dump if not it may not raise the bed