1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PSD Power Loss when Plowing

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mklawnman, Mar 8, 2006.

1. The past two snow falls I've noticed this problem where after I get done plowing for awhile and let the truck sit for more than an hour then start it back up and drive awhile to the site my check engine light comes on and then the engine feels like it loses power and seems like its hard to get the truck going. It also starts to shake as well.
    Now this did happen when I had about a half tank of diesel in it and I did call my dealer about it and they said it could be that but its hard to tell without hooking it up to their computers to find out exactly what the issue is.
    My guess is moisture or water somehow gets into the fuel tank or the fuel line and makes the engine hick up. The last time it did this while plowing it did it for a few minutes so i shut it off then turn it back on and it went away, havent had a problem since. I've never had this problem when I havent been plowing.
    Any thoughts or ideas??
  2. J29

J29 Senior Member

Just curious, but did it happen with the same tank of gas?? If it did, maybe there happened to be a lot of water in that particular fill up and gelled up. Just a thought. May want to be safe and try draining the fuel/water separator just to see if much water comes out. J.
  3. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

Sounds like CPS is getting ready to go. About $100 and 10min to replace.
  4. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I'm not being a smart a55 but for todays trucks it's more handy than a screwdriver to need a good scan tool. Pick one up and you'll have a better place to start looking for problems.
  5. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

I agree! It is almost impossible to trouble shoot without one.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would keep diesel fuel conditioner in the trucks tank in the winter.
    I bet it gets real cold in your area of the country. I have had 2 diesel vehicles that I put over 100k on each and never had a problem when using fuel conditioner. At -20 they would start right up never a hitch or hiccup.
    I would consider changing the cam sensor if the truck has some miles on it,they go bad all the time.
  7. It did it once with one tank of gas which happend on one storm, then last weeks storm it did it again but just once and for a short time. I do have one of those computer readers $150 at Autozone, but it didnt detect anything.
    This problem doesnt happen when Im not plowing, like i said it just started to happen 2 plowings ago which was about 3wks ago.
    Hummm have to look for some fuel conditioner stuff at the auto store. This didnt happen either at cold temps, the air temp was hovering near 32 degrees. And the truck has about 39,500 miles on it.
  8. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

Sure sounds like the CPS (Cam positioning Sensor) The powerstrokes eat
    them, even if it is not they, it is always good to have a spare.

Some do just like your, a periodic hiccup or shutdown, but start right back up,usuallly the problems continues to get worse. .

Some just the truck dies, without any starting. They are easy to change.]
    check out Dieselstop.com and go to the 7.3 forum for lots,lots,lots of info including photos, and step to step on how to change it.

If you have the dealer put it in will cost about $500.00. You can buy the
    part at the dealer for about $150.00. Napa for about $130.00.

The best alternative is if you have a International dealer nearby buy the IH part for about $90.00, as the Powerstroke is an International engine.

My only other thought is since it seems plow related, is snow coming up over the blade and getting into the air intake and maybe clogging/icing the air filter!!
  9. Yeah the problem only has happend like after I got done plowing for a while, I let the truck sit in my driveway turned off and then I went to go turn it back on drive it awhile then it hicups like that. Although the last time it did it, it didnt do it for awhile tho like after I had already done some plowing, and so I turned the truck off, turned it back on it then seemed to clear it self up and didnt do it again. Im starting to think it may have somethin to do with either some snow blowing or gettin into the air box on the truck, I have a poly blade with the guard on it that rubber flap thingy but i know snow still flies over that.
    Thanks for the advice on the CPS thingy Ill look into that as well. Would my engine warranty cover that CPS by the way?? I still am under that warranty yet 5yr 100,000 mile powertrain.