1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PSD is a TICKING BOMB!!! Ford News!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by intlco, Dec 7, 2004.

1. intlco

intlco Senior Member

I've attached below the facts on these ford PSD engines that were catching fire out here. Now PSD350 himself can read it!!! And then maybe you'll understand why guys out here won't buy these pieses of sh*t. You couldn't pay someone here to drive one these, that's why they got no trade value.

Exclusive Report
    6.0L Powerstroke Diesel Injectors Are Ticking Bombs
    07 July 2003
    Robert Lane
    Updated 11 July 03

At the launch of the 2003 Ford PowerStroke 6.0L's engine, Ford used a fuel injector design that has proved fatal to the engine. The fuel injectors were stamped with numbers "3C3Z-9E527-AA" and later "3C3Z-9E527-ABRM". Within months, Ford recalled all of those fuel injectors in dealer inventory and by 17 April 2003 began to use a new design, part# 3C3Z-9E527-AE. Ford, however may have continued to build new 6.0 engines with the old fuel injector until 03 May 03. After that date, Ford used the new fuel injectors in all new engines and service applications.

The below Ford Motor Company diagram details the defective injectors on the left while the improved design is on the right. According to Ford Motor Company and Ford Master Technicians at FlatRateTech, the injector's plunger suffers from side loading which then causes raw fuel to flood and enter the engine's oil crankcase or hydro-lock the engine. Both occurrences are so disastrous to an engine that a total replacement engine is often required.

Image and text: Ford Motor Company

The Warning Signs
    Ford Motor Company and Ford techs both cite a rough running engine as a possible sign that the injectors may be failing. Other potential signs that your engine may be included in Ford's 6.0 Powerstroke fatality index are a rise in the engine oil's dipstick level or a high than usual smell of diesel fumes/emissions.

Even though Ford Motor Company is aware of Powerstroke 6.0L engine failures caused directly by failed fuel injectors, they have refused to issue a recall. This is troubling to those who quickly rack up miles on their engines leaving them without a warranty to cover the damage or the cost of an engine replacement.

This is considered a "silent recall" where upon Ford may NOT notify owners of this condition. Owners should contact Pat Hoye (313) 248-8336 at Ford World Headquarters or click here for a Ford executive assigned to your area.

Owners are advised to have their vehicles inspected before the warranty period expires.

It's your money - demand a better product and Ford will listen.

CHALLENGE: Should Ford Motor Company dispute this report - either someone from BlueOvalNews or FlatRateTech will be more than happy to engage in a three way telephone conference.

Updates at BlueOvalNews.com

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

ROFLMAO!!! Good job on finding that, its funny to watch ford boys try and back up junk, even when there's proof right in their face!! :gunsfiring:

3. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I don't mean to bust balls, but this seems like just your typical first year flaw to me. When GM first came out with the Duramax they had serious problems with heat exchange and expansion due to the engine having an iron block and aluminum heads. It wasn't until 02? or 03? that GM redesigned the gasket that the issue went away. Also look at GM's CSK issue, even now a few are slipping by with cold start knock. And according to some Dodge owners, they still haven't been able to come up with a trans to handle the power of the Cummis. Look at 1994-1995, Dodge dealers had Ram's lined up around the block with blown transmissions.

No matter where you go, they all got problems....pick a color, pick a body style and drive it with pride. They're all the same.

My $.02

4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Here is something elese funny: From Fords website:

Ground Clearance:
    Ford 250 SD Crew 4x4 172" WB 7.8"
    GM 2500HD 4x4 Crew cab long box: 10.6"
    Dodge 4x4 Quad-Cab LWB: 7.1"

Always though Ford had better clearance??? HMMM....

5. intlco

intlco Senior Member

Forgot to mention, in other news,
    GMC is ranked MOST DEPENDABLE HEAVY_DUTY FULL SIZE PICKUP

JD Ower and Associates announced that the GMC Serra was the highest ranked heavy-duty full size pickup in the J.D. Power And Associates 2004 Vehicle Dependability Study of 2001 model year vehicles.

So Ford and their customers with the ford disease can lie about everything, but the fact prove GM is #1
    Perhaps that's also why GM is the # 1 Automaker.

Even European people are smart enough to know ford is junk. That's why overseas, you can't even give away a ford. Most folks would rather walk than buy ford. But GM overseas is looked up at as a dependable vehicle and holds good resale value.

6. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I agree.....

7. intlco

intlco Senior Member

Special Report
    Ford Discovers Defective 6.8L V10 Engines Installed In Vehicles
    23 July 03
    Robert Lane

After discovering defective 6.8L V10 engine parts at the factory, Ford told dealers not to sell or deliver certain vehicles until their VIN numbers are checked to make certain they do not contain defective engines. Ford also told dealers to replace the defective engines before selling the vehicle to consumers.

According to a Ford memo, some vehicles with defective engines may have already been sold to consumers unknowingly.

The 6.8L V10 engines in question were installed in vehicles made from 03 March 2003 through 22 April 2003. Ford will replace the engines free until 31 May 2004.

The defective engines have an improper finish on the crankshafts front and rear thrust wall surfaces. This will cause the engine to experience a drive belt misalignment and a belt squeal, low end engine noise due to excessive crank endplay and seized or spun crankshaft bearings.

This is considered a "silent recall" where upon Ford may NOT notify owners of this condition. Owners should contact Pat Hoye (313) 248-8336 at Ford World Headquarters or click here for a Ford executive assigned to your area.

Owners are advised to have their vehicles inspected before the warranty period expires.

It's your money - demand a better product and Ford will listen.

CHALLENGE: Should Ford Motor Company dispute this report - either someone from BlueOvalNews or FlatRateTech will be more than happy to engage in a three way telephone conference.

Updates at BlueOvalNews.com

8. intlco

intlco Senior Member

Ford: Truck Buyers Stuck with Lemon Diesel
    Despite early woes, sales are strong

By Richard Truett
    Automotive News / August 25, 2003

Despite a massive early recall and almost 500 buybacks of vehicles with engines so badly flawed that they couldn't be fixed, Ford Motor Co. says the V-8 diesel it introduced in December remains popular among truck buyers.

Sales of F-series Super Duty trucks equipped with the 6.0-liter diesel, which was introduced in December, are up 15 percent through July over sales of trucks equipped with the 7.3-liter diesel it replaced, says Ford spokesman Glenn Ray. He says 16,000 trucks with the new diesel were sold in July, setting a company record for diesel sales. Ford does not break out sales numbers of its Super Duty trucks from total F-series sales.

Several angry consumers have vented their frustration at problems with the engine over the Internet, while others say they are waiting until the 2004 models arrive in the belief that problems, which have included sluggish performance and even engine seizures, will have been fixed.

Ford buys the diesel from International Truck and Engine Corp. of Melrose Park, Ill., which also built the 7.3-liter diesel. Both engines carry the Power Stroke name.

About 95,000 Super Duty pickups and Ford Excursions with the new diesel have been sold since the engine was launched. Three out of four Super Duty trucks sold are equipped with the optional diesel engine, which carries a $5,085 premium.

A rough start

Ford's hopes for a trouble-free launch of the new engine went up in smoke early. A batch of faulty fuel injectors leaked so much diesel fuel that fuel filled the crankcase, causing the engine to seize. The fuel injector, built in a factory jointly owned by Siemens VDO Automotive and International, was redesigned. There also were glitches with the turbocharger and engine control software.

One technician who has worked with the engine says that most of the problems appear to be confined to engines built within the first five months of production. "Every customer that bought a truck built before the fifth month had to have at least one injector replaced," says Mark Ward, a master technician at Eufaula Ford-Mercury in Eufaula, Okla. Two of the dealership's customers sold their trucks back to Ford and bought leftover models with the 7.3-liter engine, he says.

Ford won't say how many trucks have had problems. But in April, Ford recalled the first 66,720 trucks it sold with the 6.0-liter diesel engine and replaced the fuel injection control pressure sensor. That recall also included the first of a series of recalibrations released for the engine control computer.

Ford has changed the software for the computer two more times since the recall. Technicians make those changes when owners bring their vehicles to dealerships to report engine problems.

More tests were needed

The latest computer updates have solved the last performance problems, Ward says. "The engine software should have been thoroughly tested before we went through these troubles," Ward says. "Ninety percent of vehicles sold here are trucks. Here, these are everyday drivers. We have to have a dependable truck."

The engine's complicated fuel system may be one reason for the early troubles. The high-pressure fuel injectors are hydraulically operated and shoot precise amounts of fuel into the engine. The fuel is shot into the engine under 3,100 pounds per square inch of pressure. Each injector can make three injections per piston stroke.

Numerous sensors, filters, regulators and valves control the flow and temperature of the fuel. The complexity is necessary because it helps the engine produce more power and reduce emissions, Ford spokesman Ray says. The 6.0-liter V-8 is rated at 325 hp and 560 pounds-feet of torque. The 7.3-liter diesel was rated at 275 hp and 520 pounds-feet of torque.

The diesel engine option typically appeals to ranchers, farmers and business professionals who rely on their trucks for work. A well-equipped diesel-powered Super Duty F-series truck can have a sticker price that easily tops $40,000. Some of Ford's most loyal customers are Super Duty truck owners.

"It's a supersophisticated engine for a diesel," Ray says. "It has a lot more horsepower, and it required a lot of new technology."

Ray says Ford has bought back about 475 trucks with engines it couldn't fix, because it "was the right thing to do." The number of complaints has dropped off in recent months, Ray says, but Ford still may buy back troublesome trucks. Says Ray: "If the vehicle can't be fixed, we buy it back. Their vehicle is a tool for them. When it doesn't work, they don't work."

9. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

"It's makes no sense why all you guys are fighting over who has a better truck.
    To be serious, all 3 auto makers perhaps have the best product right now, compared to in the past.
    What you outta be doing is fighting with the stupid wanna be americans who buy china made vehicles like toyata or honda.
    Ford and Chevy are both American and both good choices.
    "Kill The China Automakers, And Their Buyers"

As for off roading, I'd say by far, HUMMER wins!!!
    It is made for off roading and abuse. And it holds good resale value.

It'd perhaps make a good plow truck too if it wasn't so much $$$."

Dude, didn't you just say this like two days ago?

10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I have the 7.3 and I've had no problems with it. The 6.0 had a lot of problems their first year but they've worked most of the bugs out of them.

11. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

PS - The PSD is manufactured by International Motor Co, the Duramax is an Izuzu Motor. Any problems with these motors can be attributed to these companies directly and not Ford or GM.

12. intlco

intlco Senior Member

DUde, your right, I did say that, but after reading the crap a few guys here deceided to write. I changed my opinion.
    I don't like when Ford guys will sit here and write BS and say things are not true when I live in an area where these Fords have caught fire, and as a result of these engine problems, my company and other companies here have lost a ton of money when selling these trucks.
    Nobody here is gonna buy a used 2003 SD knowing the problems and knowing ford don't stand behind their problems without taking legal action.
    It just like the Firestone situation. And just like the Ford CV police car gas tanks blowing up. See how many Dallas officers wanna drive a ford?
    For 2005, we will not even accept bids from ford anymore. I'm tired of paying to have recall work done.

13. daninline

daninline Senior Member

The reason of this post is what?

Seems to me you seem to spending a lot of time on the Ford website you must be checking out the nice trucks

We have a 1999 PSD 7.3 with 200,000 on it and has not had any problems at all, so I must say I'm happy so far with my ticking time bomb I must have a slow fuse. :yow!:

I just pick on Chevys when I'm with my buddys but it's all in fun :)
    Dan :angel:

14. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Agreed. Just offering the other side of the coin. :nod:

15. Foz

Foz Senior Member

READ THE POST BEFORE YOU REPLY........look carefully at the start of this & you will see they are speaking of the new 6.0 NOT the 7.3!!!!

16. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

Bottom line is the Ford is the best selling truck on the road period

17. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

:cry: wah wah, the Ford guys pick on me. :cry:

Everyone has an opinion, deal with it.

18. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I would have to say that any criticism should go toward the engine company. like in the ford issue, international designs tests and builds the diesel engine for ford, including all the systems that run it. all ford does is cut them a check and bolt it in the truck.

19. pikrite

pikrite Junior Member

Dont forget bowtie boys about the dreadful 6.5L Detroits (which we are slowly replacing out of our fleet) or the vortec's fuel pump issues. I remember '95 (vaguely) when ford guys were on their high horse about the new 7.3Ls and chevy was moping with about 9% of the diesel market share, my how the times have changed. The duramax is a jewel of an engine but my dad won't even look at them from the old detroit fiascos and the service we got while they were under warranty. The bottom line is they are all good trucks just need the bugs worked now and again.
    Just my .02 worth.

20. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

warranty

ford has a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine for any defects and personally i have yet to hear about anyone having a problem with the engine and not getting it fixed under warranty.