1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PSD Engine Oil - Synthetic or Not?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by shade111, Oct 30, 2004.

1. shade111

shade111 Junior Member
    from ct.

Just want to know what everything thinks about synthetic oil in the 7.3 Diesel? Is it worth the cost or should I change out the oil every 3,000 miles with regular oil like Rotella or Delvac?

Thanks,

shade111

2. wls

wls Senior Member

I use New Holland (Ford) oil in mine, 15-40. I change mine at 5000 miles
    Last winter I had put in rotella syn 5-40, but had some head oil leakage, ford dealer fixed it under warranty, but not sure if it was a cause by the oil.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  3. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I use regular Shell Rotella-T 15W-40 and change it every 5,000 miles.

4. shade111

shade111 Junior Member
    from ct.

How about the winter ?

5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think it really matters one way or the other. I have 200K on my PSD and I have used dino oil the whole time. Change it every 7500 to 10K and never had to add any between changes. But, if you have the extra cash burning a hole in your wallet...

6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I'm very happy to hear 200K, my first diesel is on order, should have it around Christmas, guy at dealer said to change oil every 5000 to 7500 miles.

What are reasons for changing it at 5000 vs. 7500 or even 10,000. :confused:

7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Change oil every 3000 miles and use DELO 400 15/40 and have been useing DELO sence the 60's. Dad used it sence the 40's. I personaly have never wore out a motor and have several with over 200,000 miles. Not to say some have not broke but just never wore one out.

2 ea. 7.3's
    1 Powerstroke
    1 Cat 3408
    2 John Deer's
    2 Isuzu's
    and enough gas motors to use over 300 sparkplugs

8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the tip :nod:

9. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

It really depends on how much you abuse the engine. If you are in a very dirty environment or you tow a lot I would recommend every 3,000 to 5,000. I tow a loaded 6X12 enclosed trailer everywhere I go and still only change the oil every 10K. The way I see it is a normal car holds 5 qts of oil. My truck holds 13qts. Big difference. There is a lot more oil to circulate and get dirty. Granted, the mfr of the engine designed it to require more oil but it's still a lot better than 5qts in a gasser. Plus, the size of the filter is enormous :dizzy: All that said, there will be some people to tell you to change every 3K and some will tell you every 5K or 10K or whatever. In the end it is entirely your decision.

10. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I use the same weight oil in winter and summer. The reason that I change it every 5,000 is because my trucks are hooked to goosenecks 24/7, except when it snows :) . I would just rather be safe than sorry. Even in my Freightliner FLD120 dump with a 385hp Detroit 60 series, I change that every 10,000 miles, since its always getting worked and going into and out of dusty job sites and gravel/sand pits. But it is all personal preference.