1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PSA... Broken windshield secure everything

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by carlriv2, Jan 29, 2015.

1. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

This appears to be a deflector from a salt spreader. It appeared on our windshield Monday afternoon just as the blizzard was starting. I was traveling at 65 on the highway and was not injured but could have been. The truck was out of service for the entire storm because someone's equipment is falling apart.

Make sure everything is tied down and nothing can fall off this could have been very bad!

image.jpg

2. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

What I saw!

image.jpg

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

:eek:

Would have needed a change of under garments.

4. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

You sir are very lucky!

5. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

wow! glad you're not hurt. things like that during a storm are the most frustrating things ever

6. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Holeeeee.....

7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

YIKES! Glad no one was hurt… but people really need to be more careful… that could have ended far worse than a broken windshield :eek:

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Ouch =. I would pulled it out and put some gloves and hat on and keep going.

9. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Bird must of bought a salt spreader

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Damn,another locked thread.:cry:

11. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Wow.... Thankfully you are okay. People are stupid

12. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Wow! Glad to see you weren't hurt. Do you wear glasses? How did you manage to NOT get glass in your eyes? (or did you) Looks like a big expensive truck you have. Nothing is more irritating than to work hard so you can afford nice equipment only to have others around you mess it up. Again, glad you weren't hurt, unless you did get glass in your eyes, which would be an injury.

13. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Jesus. Glad you're ok. That could have been a hell of a lot worse.

14. xgiovannix12

lol why.....

any ways to the op Glad your ok. I wonder how much that windshields going to cost :dizzy:

15. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

When it happened I was pissed off and was thinking about trying to use it, but once I got it in the shop and looked at how bad it was and the fact that the windshield was flexing from all the cracks I figured it best to park it.

The more time passes the more I realize how much worse it could have been. It could have come all the way thru... I do wear glasses and that is a good thing otherwise I would have certainly got something in my eyes I had glass and dust all over me. I even found a piece of glass in my hair a few hours later. I did have a couple very small nicks in my hands since they were so close to the impact but no bandaid needed.

The truck is a 2007 Freightliner M2 and I love it, its a real bulldozer. Surprisingly the windshield was only $500.00 and for now the insurance company is paying. However I did stop by the state salt depot and I'm talking to the foreman. He is going to see if it was one of the trucks that works out of that depot. If it is we will get it covered thru their insurance, he even thinks I may be able to get compensated for lost time but I wont hold my breath on that... I more wanted to bring it to their attention so it does not happen again, and maybe other deflectors are ready to fall of the same truck.

16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Dude, you should by a lotto ticket

That's just insane.

I would have kick out the window and got goggles on to drive it.

17. xgiovannix12

Im sure someones missing a deflector

18. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Omg...glad u didnt get hurt. Definitely would have crapped my pants.

19. xgiovannix12

im curious how fast the other guy was going to make that thing fly so high up.

20. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

I do have a ticket from Wednesday nights drawing, but I have not checked the numbers, maybe I'm a millionaire right now??

I have a feeling it was on the road and a car or truck tire kicked it up in the air, otherwise it would have just tumbled down the road. It really doesn't matter how it got there, it never would have been a problem if it stayed attached to the truck.... I think this was held on with 1 cotter pin or R pin. Maybe they should have 2 attachment points, or a small safety chain (6" of chain and 2 welds is real easy).