1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PS Leak Problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by DeereFarmer, Apr 9, 2006.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I found the truck I am finally going to buy. A guy I know is selling a very good 1987 Dodge Ram D150 4x4. The truck is 95% perfect. The only real problems is that is needs a new muffler and there is a leak in the power steering. The muffler is easy, but I am unsure of the power steering. He said that it was not the pump, but more likey the steering box. About what is that going to set me back to have that fixed? At any rate, it is a great truck for the money!

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

depends exactly where the leak is, if it's the box itself a Reman box is (rough guess) $200 based on what my 96 reman is.

If it's the output shaft seal you can rebuild it for around $50 in gaskets (if you are comfortable doing that). Check the PS hoses too, they often rust and leak at the ends making it look like the box or pump is leaking when infact it's the hose ends.

Been waiting for the warmer weather to rebuild my PS box.

3. DeereFarmer

Well, he said that the steering box was wet and at worse that is what needs to be replaced. I would probably lean towards the hose leaking at the connector (atleast that is what I hope). At any rate I am going to buy the truck. I'll post some pics when I get some time and wash it!

4. DeereFarmer

I just picked up the truck today and noticed a few problems that I though you guys might be able to help with:

-The trun signals do not work when the lights are on, but work when the lights are off.

The truck want to bog down and stall out when going under power up a hill. The second you lay off the gas it stops, but when you are back under power it starts up again. It need fresh new gas, so could this be the problem? It is carbed.

5. DeereFarmer

Here are some pics. Needs a little loving, but is a good start for $1200 with a spare set of rims with 5 good tires and many other spare parts. It even has three 10" subwoofers with dual amplifiers hooked into a new Pioneer CD player!

First Day Back Left Side Small.JPG

First Day Left Side Small.JPG

Subs Small.JPG

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

turn signals is probabily a ground problem.
    The engine problem could be bad gas, timing problems, carb issues, etc.
    Going to need hands on diagnosis on that.

7. DeereFarmer

Well, today I popped a new battery in and filled up the tank with 93 (at the cost of $3.19 a gallon!:gunsfiring: ) and man if that truck doesn't work perfectly! No sputtering, turn signal work. Every problem that I have been having is fixed (except the muffler). It is amazing what some minimal maintenance can do to a truck! Thanks for the help!

8. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Sweet little ride--best of luck with the new truck!

9. DeereFarmer

Thanks! It needs some help here and there, but for the price it was a steal. I am just using it as a farm truck, for runs to the dump, and a mudder. I am trying to keep the wear and tare down on my good truck and to have something to play with. It is a tank, but only gets 8-10 MPG!:angry:

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Try degreasing it, then dusting the steering box around the hose connections and the shafts with chalk line powder. Drive it around steering a lot and you can find where the leak is by the dust wash. This has helped me a few times to find a hard to find leak. If the power steering pumps been replaced a lot of times the high pressure hose will not seal again because the little plastic O ring is destroyed taking the hose loose. Good luck with your new toy.