1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Prowings question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by William B., Jan 23, 2007.

1. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

After this last storm I've decided that its time to look for a set of wings. I do have a couple questions for you guys that have them. On one of the drives that I do, the snow gets stacked in a narrow spot so I would have to remove the wings. Do you notice any snow come through the larger hole in the mold board? Also, how bad is install on these? Finally where is the best place to get them? I can get them from a local dealer for 225 out the door. Centralparts.com has them for 180 minus shipping. If its close to 200 I might as well drive the 20 min and just pick them up that way instead of ordering them.
  2. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Northern Tool has them for $199. free shipping.....
  3. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Will, I just had this conversation the other night with Paul (remember him, from Pekin?) Anyway, I've got a set on my blade and I really used to like them. However I always seem to bump a curb just right to bend them enough to render their forward angle useless. I had some scrap steel laying around this fall so I finally braced them up a bit and they seem to be holding up better.

I'm planning to make my own set of "better" wings this spring. The Pro-Wings don't angle forward enough to be that useful, and their general design doesn't lend themselves to being very strong. I do however like the added width and slight forward pitch for windrowing in larger lots, they do save a lot of time. My new wings will be stronger, and much more 'useful'.

I suppose I could sell the already braced set I have......;)
  5. Yes John,
    I have them on both of my plows. For one, I like the extra width, my 04 has a 8.5 so it probably doesn't need the extra width but I have still NEVER taken them off that plow!!!!! The 99 only has a 7.5 on it so it DEFINATELY needs the width. I have also bent mine up a few times, mostly probably because I'm hard on stuff my other driver says...:dizzy:
    He never seems to bend any up, IDK. But, I do agree on the making them face forward more, would really help. I'm soo tired of all these clowns around here telling me that they're V is the only way to go. I wanna show them all up on how to make my cheaper, lighter, more productive straight blade works.....Just gotta figure out the the way to do it....William, don't worry about the snow going through the hole, not enough to worry about...Also John, what did u figure out to use for the rubbers on the wings??? I keep tearing the stockers off, So I used about 20 inches of a 2" rubber edge and left about 3 inches out past the wing and let the rest overlap the steel cutting edge. Seems to be working good for now, just gotta do the same to the other plow.....
  6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Wings are the shizzle.

They are the only way to go
    Once you plow with wings, you will HATE plowing without.
    SOOOO much faster.

I've never bent one.
    Maybe I'm not trying hard enough????????:jester:
  7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Hey Blake, long time- no see!
    I got a pair of Urethane edges from John two years ago. They are much more durable than the factory rubber was, and they seem to wear better too. Give him a holler, he'll hook you up :)

I'm thinking about modifying another blade to use as wings, I'm working on modeling it right now. I think a 30° tilt would be about perfect, that's what the blizzard wings tilt to and they seem to help contain snow fairly well.

We need to schedule another get together this spring sometime, April?
  8. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

i had them for two years and love them!!!!!!! just weld them on and don't forget to weld the back plat on the best thing i've done p.s. they still can be removed with 3 pins
  9. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Sounds like a plan!!!
  10. zippy3497

zippy3497 Junior Member

I experimented a couple years ago and made my own & they work very well. Not as much "roll off" as with a standard straight blade and when it comes to stacking..well, yes they grab a bit more snow that would otherwise fall out the edges. I also used some 1.5" thick square rubber pads and installed them on the lower edge of the wings, this cuts down on """"" V V V iiiiiiBBBBbbbbrrrrraaaaation"""" that you get when adding wings to your straight blade & it helps very well when running along the rounded street curbs. So far the rubber pads show very little wear after 2years of plowing.

I invested about $120 in material & a total of 8 hours of fabrication and install time.
  11. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

William B, do you have a pro plus or pro plow? I have a pro and am making a set for mine along with a back drag extensions for them.
    Have you tried truck equipment in des moines yet or are they high for them?
  12. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I have the Pro Plow. Didn't even think about Truck Equipment. Guess they slipped my mind. Ill have to talk to them and see. Thanks.
  13. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

At a quick glance of the title, I thought you were oriental and had a plowing question....:blush2: