1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

proud owner of a 98 GMC but???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PTTP08, Aug 30, 2012.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I bought this truck sight on seen cause it was a screaming deal 98 GMC ext.cab long box SUPER clean some grampa owned it and runs like a champ I can always turn it if I don't like the truck.

My question is this whats the differance between the GMC SL 2500 and the GMC SL 2500HD? I ran the vin and nothing came up. I am assuming I can put a plow on either model?? I also have a 92 2500 with a western on it been plown for 5 years with that truck no problems at all thats why I bought another one but in 92 they didnt offer a HD model. So thus why I am asking the pro's thanks again for your info

winter is almost here whohoo!!

2. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

98 doesn't have HD either.

They had a six lug version of the 2500 and an 8 lug.

Either will carry a plow, but obviously the 8 lug will carry more.

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I forgot about the 6 lug version.

4. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

thats what I thought just thought I would ask! My old boss has one of those 6 lug 2500 trucks I thought that was kinda of funny I all ways gave him **** about it. I told him my wife drives a bigger truck than he does HAHA

5. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

1500hd = 2500 (ld) < 2500hd

6. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

the 1500 with six lugs is classified as a work series so i have been told. ( i have a 94 1500 )

7. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

All of the 4x4 1500 are six lugs.

The easiest way to differentiate, the GVW.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

GMT800 1500HD trucks have 8 lugs