1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Proud new owner of 8.5 Western Unimount plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Collision, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Collision

Collision Junior Member

Good evening all, I just purchased a 8.5 western unimount plow. I paid $900, but it needs new headlights and a cutting blade. I got it because i came off of the same truck I have, an obs ford. Is the 8.5 foot western plow too big for my 1995 f250? Does anyone have the wiring diagram so I can install it? Does anyone here have any recommendations on where to buy parts?

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I would say the plow is just big enough for your truck. Western site will have all the info you need including installation instructions. As for parts this may be a good chance to get to know your local dealer but if you want search the interwebs there are plenty of sites that sell parts.

3. Collision

Collision Junior Member

This may be a stupid question, but are the snow plow dealers like car dealers? Prices are crazy high? If they are normal prices I wouldn't mind. You really think an 8.5 foot plow is just big enough? I was originally thinking of getting a 7.5 foot plow...

4. kimber750

Yes I think that 8.5 is the minimum for a full size truck. Yes dealers on an average are going to be more expensive than online. My dealer is about $45 more for cutting edges compared to online but it is well worth it to me to keep the relationship with them. At some point you will need some part or service in a pinch it will be good to know the local guys. I had a 7.5 with wings on a F150.

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

8.5 with wings is ideal for aboot every scenario

Dogplow Dodge likes this.
  6. kimber750

Been considering them for the XV, or maybe just buy an XLS and stash the XV away for those freak blizzards.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Did you get the mount as well?

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

9. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I had an 8 1/2 on my 97 ferd, it was fine. Easy to install. Did you get the truck side wiring harnesses and controller?

10. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

BUFF and Philbilly2 like this.
  11. Collision

Collision Junior Member

I think I may have made a big mistake and misidentified the plow as a unimount... could someone please help... I think I just bought a plow for a brick nose ford, not an obs... [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] what do you guys think, ill post better pictures of the mount in the AM

12. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

There's no pictures that I can see. What is s brick nose Ford, never heard that one. What year Ford did the plow come off?

13. kimber750

I am with Randall, I don't see any thing.

14. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Ditto.......

images.jpg

Randall Ave likes this.
  15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

meh, once the holes "oval out" they seem to fallow the contours of the ground better.

16. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Yes, that was my experience after rebuilding it. Worn out was Much better on angled surfaces, but I rebuilt mine and added more "meat" to the front to help prevent any tearout while backdragging, which I definitely wanted to do. The newer plows pivot much better with the added horizontal pivoting design

0428151203.jpg 0428151246.jpg .

17. Collision

Collision Junior Member

18. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

19. Collision

Collision Junior Member

Here are the rest of the pictures. Sorry if they are bad, its kinda hard to take pictures when they are in the back of a truck. http://s345.photobucket.com/user/Collision117/library/Mobile Uploads?sort=3&page=1

Please tell me if you want anything more specific. Im thinking this mount was for a brick nose (pre 1992) and NOT OBS (1992-1997) would a unimount harness and push plates line up with the plow? Or should I build custom?

20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo