1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Prototype wing pictures

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by turbo38sfi, Nov 4, 2008.

1. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Just got these this morning. The project is moving along. Should have this wrapped up by the end of the week. Here's some shots of the progress so far.

2. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

With that angle, they won't scoop much, just add width.
  3. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

It will be a 20* angle once the receiver tubes are attached. For picture purposes however, it's shown at a nearly straight setup
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I like the progress so far.
  5. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Lookin Good!! Would you mind sharing the template for the brackets??

6. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

nice fab work i could use a guy like you to fix all the stuff i brake LOL make sure you post pics when your done but nice work so far
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What are you planning to do to fill the gap between the moldboard and wings in the center of the radius once you pivot the wings forward to their 20 deg forward angle?
  8. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i like'em!!
  9. garleness

garleness Member
    from ontario

Maybe a bad angle im looking at but, wont the radius hit the groun or wear out, maybe they should have been higher up with a replaceable edge?. Just a thought but they do look great
  10. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

There will be a replaceable rubber edge that will bolt to the metal piece you see there.

B&B, not sure I understand what you mean?

Should have more pictures by the end of the day. Should be done actually.
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

When you rotate the wings forward on their pivot points (which will be at the top and bottom due to the curve of the moldboard and wings) it will open a gap between the wing and the moldboard in the center. The more you rotate them forward, the more gap you will open.
  12. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Since nothing is connected aside from the plate at the bottom, I think he's simply going to bend the outer rib inward while leaving the inner rib clamped. Thats the only thing I can think of :waving:.

Valid point though BB.
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not likely mcb. The bottom plate would be of no benefit with it bent. Plus the uprights would no longer be in plane with each other. You would angle the uprights before you welded the plate on anyway. And you would take that into account before you fully welded the plate on in the first place, so I don't thick that's a likely possibility. Have to wait for turbo's reply and see what his thoughts are. :waving:
  14. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Should be done shortly...you'll all see. I've given too much info already. Stay tuned!! :nono:
  15. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

like to see how it works out for you.. the prototype looks good cant wait to see it with the angle on the wing how that looks
  16. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

More pictures

Almost there. Had a slight problem with the tubing bender which caused some delays.

Starting to take shape now though!

Tubing bender.jpg
  17. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Those look like they will be nice and stout. I like that they are full height also. Do you plan on selling these, or just a project for your own benefit? Can wait to see them finished!
  18. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

It started out as a project for just me because I couldn't find anything I liked that fit my vision of what I wanted. SOOO Once completed and tested, I could offer them to those that wish to purchase. I'm paying quite a bit, so I think the only way to offer them affordably would be a group buy of 10. My local Snoway dealer is also dying to see the finished product, so if he gets in too, it could help reduce cost.

Even if offered, the purchaser will need to have the receiver tubes welded to their plow, they won't be a simple bolt on..so you either have to know how to weld or know someone that does.
  19. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

they look like they are gonna be really heavy if you want to take them out when your driving on the streets...

what are they gonna weigh?
  20. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Estimating about 40lbs each. For the next rev, I'm thinking about either doing a steel skin or a poly skin. Since these are for me..I'm not too worried. If it's something that ends up being offered to the masses, I'd try to think of some way to save some weight. One way could be not going the full height of the blade and doing 2/3rds. That would reduce the overall weight by a bit.

There will also be a vertical piece of tubing on the backside of my blade so these can be stored.