1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Prototype Avalanche snowpusher

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by DellDoug, Dec 10, 2010.

1. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

Ledex industries in Oakville Ontario Canada has asked us to to help with the research and development of a their latest snow pusher. This new Avalanche comes with many new ideas integrated into the design. The model shown here that we will be testing for them incorporates a slip hitch design with floating shoes and 4ft steel trip cutting edge sections. This is a 16ft unit and we are going to install it on one our 621E Case loaders.We promise to put this unit through a complete set of tests and report back to all of you what we discover. Here are a few pics. .

2. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Let us know how this goes, our local Avalanche dealer was up to the factory and saw this or a prototype like it and mentioned he was impressed. I'd be happier to hear your input on it....keep us posted!

3. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

I will be happy to report what we think of it. Your dealer probably saw this one as to my understanding this is the first one of its kind. Trust me....we are going to test this unit full out and I am keeping a 14ft horst steel trip pusher right on the same project for backup. I hope this avalanche works well but I need to cover my butt just in case something goes wrong. Ledex is looking for real world testing and feedback. I promise to tell you all the same information and opinions that we give to Ledex for feedback. There will be no sugar coating. I must say the inital quality inspection looks to be a very high level. As well as the overall fit and finish. Now its time to see how well it works and how tough it is! :gunsfiring:

BTW: I want to give Ledex a thumbs up for having the guts to allow this test and its information to be public knowledge. Shows confidence and integrety IMHO!
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  4. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We have always been impressed with the durability of our our Avalanche pushers and I'm sure they're staying true to their reputation in this one. I'm assuming the slip hitch design will alow for more vertical floating similar to the Arctic pusher....
  5. mikegooseman

mikegooseman Senior Member

Wow ! thats a real small pusher..lol I hope it can handle one of those 621E behind it.....if not so be it like you said you have that 14 ft horst on site......good luck guys , hope she is a keeper
  6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We have 2 older Avalanche 12ft backhoe models, they are real workhorses. Got new 1.5 inch cutting edges from plowrubber.com (which btw weighs 120lbs, my back still hurts). New coat of paint and company lettering on the end plates and they look brand new.........
  7. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

That looks like a solid design. Must feel good to be acknowledged as a company that a big time manufacturer would want to have test their products. Keep up the good work
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Interesting. Look forward to the results also. Made in Canada has it's benefits.
  9. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

subscribing.... idk, those end plates pivot from the back only? without any adjustment from the back i don't think its as good of a design and the boss bx12 or sectional but time will tell.... what about the trip? looks like the boss bx12 has a larger trip edge so it can conform to the dip and valleys of a lot...this just doesn't seem to have that feature... am i wrong?... they make a good pusher but i think some tweaking will still be in order for this line... keep us posted.
  10. joester

joester Junior Member

I like the looks of it so far. Will also be subscribing to this thread. Any mention of price point yet?
  11. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Subscribing. Price compared to an Arctic?
  12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So how did the prototype handle the big storm,
  13. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

I am very pleased to report that this Avalanche pusher is working great. The new style of plow shoes enable the cutting edge to clean much better then previous Avalanche models. Used in combination with the slip hitch that they are now incorporating the finished surface cleaning area is better then the Horst units and quite close to our Arctic units (Not really a significant difference between the two). When following grade you still have to split the push to both sides of the catch basin (unlike the Arctic) but all that being said it cleans much better then the earlier Avalanche units we have owned. I am also pleased to say that the re-enforced/strengthened push beam and slip hitch are allowing this unit to stack really well. This is also a very high volume unit and seems to move allot of snow in a hurry. I understand Gino from Avalanche has taken some of our feedback and has already made improvements for final production models but the unit has not broken down on us once this year year and is cleaning snow every storm. I think this unit is going to be a winner. tymusic
  14. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Good to hear its working well. I noticed when you first started this thread... and I thought it looked like a good design. Are they making/going to make skid steer models?
  15. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

I believe that there is one in the works but you would have to call Gino at Avalanche to confirm. I think this is going to be the new generation of pushers from Avalanche.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

looks great. thats pretty sweet that they let you use it and test it out for them
  17. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

Are you sure they want you posting pictures and talking about it online? Im sure Avalanche's competitors are thrilled you gave them advance notice on what they are planning for next season.

A few years ago one of my customers was given a prototype piece of equipment by my competitor. I happened to stop by their shop when they were playing with it. It was a major too-do in my company that one of our guys got seat time and a ton of pictures / video of the XXXX. We were able to "borrow" a lot of their ideas and in some cases file patents ahead of them. Our competitor went along the next 16 months not knowing that we knew where they were headed and invested in a huge marketing campaign. We came out with our "tweeked" version of the XXXX 30 days after them and murdered them on price because they unknowingly did about $2m worth of R&D for us. Today the XXXX is a major part of our business, and we outsell the same competitor 5:1.

...just saying....
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  18. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I think I am going to need some taller boots. :rolleyes:
  19. mikegooseman

mikegooseman Senior Member

20. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

Well to answer your question....Gino from Avalanche (the owner) is in one of the pictures taken at his production facility. I informed him that good or bad I was going to post on plowsite what I thought of his unit with complete objectivity. He agreed that was what he wanted. He said he was looking forward to his new design being in a heads up shootout against other major manufacturers. He also told me he was sure I would report things honestly and fairly (to which I agreed). Gino also telephoned me this afternoon after I posted my thoughts on his unit and was thrilled we were happy with it. So to answer your question Avalanche is not only aware of this report/comparison.....Avalanche gave us this unit in order to be in a direct comparative test with other pusher manufacters. That is what Avalanche wanted. At the time I thought it was a very gutsy move but I think it will pay off for him and his corporation as these units are supposedly going to be priced somewhere in the middle of the current market value of major snow pusher suppliers/producers.