1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Protector For Lift Cylinder

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by White Gardens, Dec 6, 2010.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought I'd post here as it's a general plow repair question.

My Lift cylinder on my plow is pitted some, and the seal leaks a little. Nothing major and the plow doesn't leak down much if at all.

My old Meyer Plow had the same issue. Lift cylinder was pitted pretty bad.

Is there a good protector out there that I can put over the exposed part of the cylinder to keep it from pitting. I was thinking an old style motorcycle shock protector that was just a plastic slinky looking boot, but I have not been able to find one as it seems the modern style protector is all that you find.

Any suggestions?

2. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Do you push the cylinder all the way down when you store it for the summer ?
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Oh ya, but I'm guessing most of the pitting comes from road travel, with the plow fully extended up and the cylinder being exposed to rocks and debris from other cars and truck.
  4. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

I think a shock boot would just hide any debris and cause more damage. Just make sure its pushed down in the summer and maybe a few drops of atf to keep the seals from drying out.
  5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

2x on the shock boot comment, they collect all kinds of road crud which will eventually cause rust. Try something like a inner tube, this would project the front of the ram but not surround it so it'd be easy to clean and wouldn't trap anything.