1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Protecting yourselves from cheaters

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kenyou, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I'm sorry to sound like the newbie that I am but I have been reading for some time now about how you guys are getting screwed by people and businesses that are trying to pull a fast one and refuse to pay. I never hear the name of the one that is not paying. For instance, who they are and where they are located. I have to imagine that if one of you guys that got stiffed by some company or person, would be pretty mad when you found out that the same people just cheated another plower and he never had a way to tell anybody about it. It seems like there would no end to the cheating the snow plowing companies or any company for that matter. It seems like it sure would be nice to check out a business or a person on a web site and see that they have cheated other plowers in the past and then leave that customer alone. They would have to change their ways or they would never get plowed out.

It seems too simple to protect yourselves, so it must be against the law to let someone know that a person or a company is a deadbeat. The problem that I see is, if the cheater finally pays, he should be taken off the list or make a note that he had finally paid and when and why. I can see him suing for letting others know that he is a regular cheat. Oh that wouldn't be fair would it? Now they put speed limit and stop signs up so you can protect yourself from getting a ticket don't they?

Sorry for the Rant but there has got to be a better way of protecting yourselves.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I think it's more a case of Plowsite not wanting people to name names. It would just open up a whole new can of worms and I'm sure the admins would rather not have the site go in that direction.

3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

so ur saying for us to make a list call it something like companies that dont pay.com just a joke on the name. but in all honesty sounds like the black list in vegas. if the company screws somebody u add them to the list and everybody who checks the list hence snowplowing companys would avoid them. and they would be **** out of luck. but then they would also make a who to avoid snow plow people. thou the local news already dose this which is kinda nice. they tell u to ask for an adress ins all that kinda junk. keeps the lowballers and beer money people at bay.

4. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

cant stop anyone from PMing and keeping private lists amonst each other.......

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Isn't that the truth!

6. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

How about a password protected area,so the public can't see.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The problem with bad mouthing companies, is there is always another side to the story! Not everyone on here does a perfect job and there can be other reasons for not getting paid. People might just bad mouth a company because they lost the contract. In the 18 years I've plowed, I've only been taken for $250, so I'm very happy with that.

8. ohchit

ohchit Junior Member

I could name a Former Kansas City Chief that does not pay his bills for mowing and plowing. He has went threw almost every lawn service in our area before word got out now he mows his own lawn and shovels his drive. He got in debt to so many companys he forgot who he owed money to and would ask you to give him an estimate to do his work after he had stiffed you.

9. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

most people dont name names on here becasue its more of a privacy thing. its between that person and the people who stiffed them. it shouldnt be made everyone elses business. its not like this is a local forum either you have peole from all over the US and canada and maybe other places on here. so why do they need to know.

i peronally think its better kept private untill the issue is resolved.

10. BHISNOWMAN

BHISNOWMAN Member

11. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I posted a long time ago about a guy that never paid me, he still hasnt. Anyways, I have never done the court thing and I should, however he owns a plaza, so I just refered him a lady that rented from me bounced 7 out of the 12 cheques, she finally squared up with me and decided to move for cheaper rent and I refered her to this guy. I bet he loves getting not paid, and he knows I sent her too. Looks good on the jerk. Im in a pretty small town, people know what goes on.

Its one thing to not pay your bill ontime and maybe need some extention, and its good when they finally come clean, but its another to say I am not paying.

I gave a computer to a guy one time and he always paid, he never paid ontime and I took that into consideration when I picked the price, but he always called and said I will be in on tues ect ect and he got there eventually. He gets way more credit with me then mr I dont call back and I am not paying for that,its too much, or I can get that cheaper.

No one needs a website. The deal just has to be good for both parties and the nonn payers will eventually get weeded out.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Well Said.:drinkup:

13. karol

karol Senior Member

Now that's a businessman. I mean it. I know people that i have been taken for probably in the ten's of thousands in 18 years if not close to 100g's. Not because they did a crappie job but they are weak on the business and people skill side.

14. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on letting other contractors know who cheated you out of money.

I guess that being that things are not always as they appear, we better let this one alone. It's just the poor guy that gets screwed out of his money that bothers me because there is not too much he can do but tie himself up in court. These crooks know very well that most contractors can't afford to take a day or two off to go to small claims court for a couple of hundred dollars and they profit from it. If I got taken by one of these idiots and my friend had got taken before by the same person and didn't tell me, I think I would be a little mad.

I think that if there was a list it would have to be kept in your area so that you and your buddies would be the only one to know about it.

Thanks again.

15. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

thats funny, i posed months ago on lawnsite about creating a website exactly like that for us... everyone said it was a bad idea, youd get sued for slander etc.. and look, theres a major website that is just the same thing there :/

16. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

As for getting sued for slander, they have to prove what you said was a lye. if they didn't pay you and you said they didnt, then its not slander.
    Most of the guys in my area with the exception of a few tell each other when a person dosn't pay their plow bill. That way next year when they call someone different they say
    " not interested "