1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Protecting trailering plug

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gslam88, Mar 30, 2003.

1. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Just a question, does anyone that tows a trailer protect the rear of their truck (or where ever the trailer plug is for you vehicle) in any way. I just had to replace the plug due to the condition of the inside of the plug itself. It made me stop and think for a second.
    I have my plug attached to my rear hitch. I also know that I have a tendency to back into snow banks and don't want to break or mangle the plug. I was considering making up something that will easily protect the plug, and other vitals on the rear of my truck. Maybe even try to sell them, but depends on the demand? Any input would be greatly aspirated
    I don’t want to give too much away, but it would be not that expensive, and easy to install. Something in the $40-50 range maybe?

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I know what your talkin bout',every spring i wire up a new trailer plug,i've seen little plastic boxes to put the plug in,not sure how they work though,seems like with a little thought we could come up with something.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

It sounds as if part of your problem might be the interior of the plug having a corrosion problem. If thats the case dielectric grease is the easiest way to fix that. As far as the plug itself goes, I guess you will have to fab something up, since I too have looked at my local RV shop for some type of "cover" but have yet to find anything.
  4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

A buddy of mine actually mounted his 7 way plug socket on the inner fender inside the pickup box. Then using the coiled cable that tractor trailers use, he made an extension cord. A 7 way plug goes into the socket and a new socket on the extension has a magnet glued to the top. When he uses it he "sticks" it right to the receiver hitch crossbar and hooks up his trailer plug. Otherwise it is in his toolbox and the socket is protected in the bed.

A good idea I thought. As it becomes necessary I will be doing the same.
  5. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Arc Burn - LOL, I do the same thing every year. Matter of fact, just last week I tried to tow my Skidsteer with my 98 Sierra. Went to plug in the 7 wire harness and it was filled with salt/corrosion. It was my first year salting with the Sierra, and I did not think of trailer plug protection! Off to NAPA to buy a new plug.

CT18fireman - Your buddy should market that Idea! Got some pictures for us!

Chuck B:D
  6. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

I have mine mounted in the bumper. Does require cutting a hole. Backed into many snowbanks and no problem.
  7. turfguy

turfguy Member

I have a 98chevy 2500 and all that I did was remove one of the lights for the licence plate and mount my heavy duty trailer socket in the hole. there is still plenty of light to read the plate and the plug is very well protected. so far it has lasted 3 seasons and it looks great!
  8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have removed the liscence plate light as well. Does protect somewhat from snowbanks. However the back side still gets exposed to water and snow.

This is why I will be moving all up to the bed. Out of the way, safe, clean install. Extension cable is stored when not used.

I wish I had some pictures. All parts can be bought at any truck or trailer supply shop.
  9. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I turn my 7 way connector around and mount it on other side of the hitch for winter, it seems to protect it better from the snowbanks. In the summer I simply loosen the clamp an move it back to the rear side of the reciever hitch.

Funny you should mention about corrosion from the salt. Yesterday my cruise contol and left turn signal stopped working when my headlights were on, sure enough it was the T connector that plugs into the factory lights was shorting out due to corrosion. I use the grease but still the salt does a number on all electrical connections.

10. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Alan beat you to it :D

"...rear view of the bumper, showing the hitch receiver and trailer plug shield. Rectangular cutout to the right is where the plugs for the spreader connectors and (someday) the power plug for a Snowman plow will be mounted. There's a box behind that hole which I can (hopefully) seal with Duxseal to keep water away from the plugs. Salty water, electricity and dissimilar metals makes a sure recipe for corrosion. I also found out the hard way that 12 volt DC, with the amp capacity of a good battery can make a mess when it gets loose and starts jumping across plug terminals.

11. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

With the cover on.

"the trailer shield again, this time with the cover plate dropped in place. It's rare that I tow in the winter, but it's not rare to be backing through some pretty hard banks. Plastic plugs end up with the cover broken and stuffed down inside the plug itself. Doesn't happen with a slice of 3/16 steel stuck in the way. The cover just drops into the rails on the sides of the cutout."

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have made up a few pieces for a local landscape co who were tearing the plugs up on the back of their trucks.It was just two pieces of 2X2 rectangular tube (in an L shape)with a plate welded on to cover the plug.Slides into the trailer hitch.Only protects against backing into something,not against corrosion.
  13. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Not to bust chops but

Why do you back into snow banks ???? :confused:
    Turn your head & learn where the back end of your truck is.:waving:

I guess this is why I laugh at some of the plowguys I know, they all damage to their trucks each & every year. Most are in to big of a hurry :rolleyes: And the BIGGEST joke is some of the guys are paid by the hour.

One guy did $4,500.00 in one plowing accident & over $7,000.00 this yr. to his truck alone. Plus property damage to the other parked car & light pole, not sure how much that was. Oh well live & learn, you know it's hard to miss a parked car.:(
  14. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

The most damage that I do is when i'm plowing residences and not the commercial.
  15. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

May I ask who you were addressing with the back into snow bank comment??

As we both have extended cab trucks you know that there are times that its just too long for some of the short tight driveways that I have around here.... I am not sure if you have the same problems in Ohio......but too date I think I have done only about $9.99 worth of damage to my truck... knock on wood..... by having so much snow come back over my plow I keep bending my right side plow guide and it then finally broke.... that's it... and a couple of scrapes on the body... just scuffed the clear coat.. but I will buff it out soon enough....

Not starting anything... but just had to respond....
  16. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

How about anyone :D I said NOT to bust chops but

Why yes, there are many tight spots here in Ohio but it doesn't mean you have to back into a snowpile ;)

I guess I've been lucky as I haven't had a accidents in 28 yrs. of snowplowing :) had some close calls :eek: but no damage.

I guess my point is there are too many guys that are cowboys & not snowplow operators, not picking on anyone.

gslam88 : If that's all the damage you have done then you you must be a snowplow operator not a cowboy.