1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Protecting myself

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brant'sLawnCare, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I have been asked to bid on a fairly large condo job. I have heard some interesting stuff about the property management company. If I were to bid on the job, how can I cover myself for a seasonal contract? Meaning, how can I make sure I will get paid? Do you bill every 15 days? Ask for the first check up front? Ask for 50% up front, and the rest by the end of the month?

2. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

We do some condos. We bill them betweent he 1st and 15th of the month. They pay by the 25th.
    Seasonal job, 6 monthly installments. Salt is extra and on the following months bill. We have a stipulation that allows us to suspend service if they are 15+ days late. We have never had to use it with any of them. Believe me, if you suspend service in a condo for lack of payment, you will get your money. I know a guy who did it. His customer's management company failed to pay for 30 plus days on a $5000 plus installment with salt added to it. It snowed 12 inches, he refused untill paid in full and was promptly paid. Im not sure I would have done the same though. I dont want to stiff the people im actually working for (the condo residents) because their agent is not paying me. Just doesn't seem fair to me to shaft them. Remember, the management company works for the condo association, just like we do, and the board can fire either one of us.
  3. Brant'sLawnCare

Thanks for the help! I am trying to decide if I want to take a chance or not. Anybody else have anything useful?
  4. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

look to see how many units are rented... if its half full then they might have a hard time paying you, but if the place is full of residents then the place is definitely getting money in every month and should have no problem paying you. Those places roll in the money every month assuming the place is full.
  5. Brant'sLawnCare

I would say a good majority of them are rented. I am thinking that I am going to bid it high, or not at all this year. I don't want to buy any equipment and then get hosed. That would be bad.
  6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Pay a lawyer to write you a contract that you can use for years to protect yourself.
    yes, it's going to cost up front. (probably $1,000 to $2,000) but spread over 5 years, that cost is nothing. Especially compared to not getting paid on something because YOU AREN'T A LAWYER and missed something in your 'contract"
  7. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

pm me the name of the company, and I can tell you what I know about them. However, if you are worried before the season even starts that might be a red flag.