1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Protecting BOSS plow from the elements

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by VTDave, Oct 12, 2012.

1. VTDave

VTDave Member
    from VT

I know my BOSS 7.5 SD straight blade is "weatherproof," but it just seems wrong to leave it exposed to the elements year round. I have no indoor storage space. Any ideas for covering/protecting the plow? A 12x12' tarp would work, but isn't a particularly elegant solution. Thanks, Dave
  2. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

imo, a tarp may not be a good solution, it traps moisture in and around the plow etc. cover it with a good coating(ie:fluid film), put it somewhere out of constant sunlight and you should be fine. My neighbor leaves his out all year and it looks just like new.
  3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've heard of guys lightly wrapping them with a tarp or kinda making a lean to for them. Keep the elements and sun off the plow yet still allowing air to move underneath it easily to keep moisture down. Along with a good cleaning and fluid film before storage.
  4. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

I made a simple custom cover for my VXT out of used boat top material. Leave it up off the ground a few inches all around so you get circulation. Coat the plow in Fluid Film and cover it up ... Works great. Just me but I'd never leave it exposed to the elements all summer for no reason ... especially poly ... unless you dig pink.
  5. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

depends on what you want to spend... a tarp, lean-to, small wood shed from lowes.... I would definatly cover it up some how and like Mopard said keep it off the ground if you leave it outside.

I go a little crazy with the fluidfilm, then stick both plows in the barn and put a tarp on them to keep the dust off :dizzy:
  6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Keeping it up off of the ground is essential as it promotes air circulation around it.

I coat my angle cylinders with white grease, then I put it in storage garage. If I didn't have the garage, I'd coat it with Fluid Film, and not worry about it.
  7. micojj

micojj Junior Member

what is fluidfilm? Some kind of storage spray that Boss sell?
  8. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member