1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ProTech steel trip edge adjustable?

Discussion in 'Pro-Tech Sno Pushers' started by faddy12, Jan 5, 2010.

1. faddy12

faddy12 Junior Member

Just bought my first steel trip edge plow this year, a ProTech 12' loader model. Works pretty well on hard pack but seems to have trouble with the light fluffy stuff. Last time out it was leaving almost a 1/2" behind on every pass, while my rubber edges were getting right down to the pavement Does anyone know if these can be adjusted to scrape better? Thanks.
  2. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

this is my first year too but i went through a mini-training session with pro-tech themselves and i don't believe this pusher is designed for the light snow or slush for that matter. what you need is a switchblade, rubber on one side for light and slush, steel-trip for packed snow.
  3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

but as far as packed snow goes though, i love the steel trip
  4. cjm8232

cjm8232 Member

Redman is correct, there are conditions where the rubber edge will clear better than the steel edge. Trying to adjust the steel edges down lower to scrape better will only wear the cutting edges out faster. Also, when that steel edge is lower than your wear shoes, it will make the pusher "teeter" on the edges and cause it to run un-level which will burn the shoes out prematurely as well.

Keep the steel edge flush to the ground and do not run with down pressure. As long as the steel edge pusher is run level and the edges are not jacked down below the wear shoes it will not wear out very quickly. As soon as you introduce: down pressure, running non-level, and having the edges over adjusted these things will wear out a lot quicker.

Faddy 12, make sure you are running the pusher level. If you are leaving that much snow behind you might not be running level. Keep some looseness in the chains connecting the pusher to your machines bucket and it will allow the pusher to float better in your bucket which will make it easier to run level. Also,have another guy get out and watch you run it to make sure you are level and do not add down pressure, and try running a little slower in those conditions.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010