1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

protech steel edge vs avy steel edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bullit340, Nov 18, 2009.

1. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

Has anyone had any real time with the protech steel trip edge pusher? I have used protech rubber edge pushers and liked them. I have been thinking of adding a steel trip edge pusher but am unsure of the protech design. The avalanche design of trip edge with springs seems more traditional and I am not sure which one is better. I want to go towards the avalanche but the protechs are more available to me. Dealers say they are great but what is the real deal? Any drawbacks?

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Used to do a walmart with one, first season we used a poly edge pusher and it was OK, this site is no slat allowed and sits on top of an aquifer. So we went steel trip edge protech the second year. HUGE difference. Much cleaner pavement then the poly edge. At 16 ft across it was interesting to see the waves in the pavement, but yes it's better. And it is a jolt when you hit something, but not terrrible.

3. Protech Inc.

Protech Inc. Senior Member

The avalanche design of trip edge with springs seems more traditional and I am not sure which one is better.
    bullit340, the Avalanche seems traditional because it actually uses the same engineering idea that truck plows incorporate. The problem with this is that for truck plows, down pressure is essential for tripping and all of the weight and force is directed on the actual cutting edge. For containment plows, the majority of the weight and force is on the wear shoes and extra down pressure is not necessary as the weight of your equipment and your pusher is already much greater than that of a pick up truck and plow. At Pro-Tech, we designed our steel trip edge specifically for the forces of containment plows. The tripping mechanism on our Pushers is a memory urethane spring that won't break or rust like a more traditional mechanical spring.