1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

protech or scoopdog?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bluefishbob, Oct 9, 2010.

1. bluefishbob

bluefishbob Junior Member
    from erie pa

After struggling to keep up with a skid steer we bit the bullet and purchased a deere 310d back hoe. Now we need a push box to complete the package. I have been looking and have narrowed it down to either a protech 10' or a scoop dog 10'. any advice on whats better pros or cons for both? Or any one have a better box for the money?

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I researched for weeks. I guess it all depends on what you want, trip edge, rubber edge, if you just want a standard box or a heavier duty box. Give me a call (I'm in Erie as well and we are making a road trip in a week or two for push boxes, it might be very worth your while) 814 504 0286. Brian

3. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I'm happy with my Scoop Dogg so far. I didnt need a trip edge and I picked mine up for $2,000 as compared to almost 4k for the Protech. The Scoop Dogg actually uses thicker side plates than Protech does.

Buyers came out with a backdrag edge for their pushers this year. The only thing they are lacking is a trip edge.

4. Protech Inc.

Protech Inc. Senior Member

Pro-Tech's Sale Price for the SP08S is $2,100.00 with FREE Freight to your closest dealer!

Check out our 2010 Sale Price online http://www.snopusher.com/Default.aspx?tabid=6117

As always if you have any questions please call us at 888-787-4766

5. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

Whether Pro Tech or Scoop, with a 310d put a 12' backhoe pusher on it. I have a 12' on my 310 and it pushes full all day long.

6. JD7420

JD7420 Junior Member

I have a 17 foot scoop dog for my john deere 7420 it is a 150hp and i love the box for light snows but in heavy snow it will stop my four wheel drive in its tracks. I have just finished building a custom mount to put a 10 foot valk poly blade on it to roll the snow off. But i guess the morale of the story is i like the scoop dog over protech wich we have for our skid loaders cause the scoop dog edge is rubber it is easy to adjust if need be no springs to wear out like a trip edge and no steel edge to hit any thing with so good luck in your purchase :mechanic:

7. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

We have a 10 foot pro tech switchblade on our Deere 310 SJ TC and I like that we can use the rubber or the steel trip edge depending on the condtions. We also have two other pro techs and one Kage pusher as well.

8. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

we have two snow dawgs, one 10' on a 70hp bobcat and a 14' on a terex loader. we have been very happy with them. try northshore trucking in lake bluff IL. Price wise i think they will be comparable to the others mentioned. good luck, any pusher you get you will be loving how much snow you can move.

9. Kristin Stephan

Kristin Stephan Sponsor

10. Ranger620

Ranger620 PlowSite Veteran

I have a scoop dawg we got last year. I wouldnt give it to you. Biggest piecs of $%&#, its a 10' and i put it on a john deere 5325 65 hp tractor. Never really had much trouble pushing it tires are filled for extra traction.
    Heres where Scoop dawg went wrong in my opion. Look at how the mount attaches to the pusher its self. They have 1/4" L metal welded to the "center" of 4" c channel. Where is your weakest point. Hello the center. I was pushing one of the first snows last lear and hit a curb. Yea I did a no no but was traviling less than 3 mph the tractor weighs less than a med. frame skid steer and it buckled. I have a feeling you guys with 1 and 2 year old pushers will start to see them get week. I am no engineer but welding that 1/4" plate to the center seems to be a week point. Buyers told me they would send me a 100 page document to prove that is the stongest way. I still dont have the document.
    On top of that they way they fit into a ss attachment its sloppy they slide back and fourth and eventually bend and fall off.
    I took the pusher back to my supplier and they agreed faulty design approached buyers with a big no way for warranty. they since have designed there own which I will probally buy or i will stick to the pro-techs.
    I do own some pro-techs and have hit curbs harder with no damage to the pusher. Your decision but I will never own a buyers again

11. lawnsrusinc.

lawnsrusinc. Senior Member

PRO tech never ever had an issue with ours in the 5-6 years we have owned them

12. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

We have been using Snow Hawgs for years. Before you purchase a pusher, check on putting a poly edge on it. We buy ours without the rubber and order poly edges from Cuttingedgepoly.com. Have the dealer take the price of your rubber off so you can apply it to the poly cost, which is much more than rubber, but way worth it.

13. nathanlacourse

nathanlacourse Member

have both pro tech last alot longer shoe and rubber edge

14. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

Rubber edges are junk. I think they are one of the biggest scams in our industry that costs us more then they save.

15. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

He's not asking about skid steer pushers. The OP requested opinions on a 10' backhoe pusher.

16. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

I would suggest a 12ft pusher. I have one on a 860 Terex and push full length of walmarts last year with no problems. I have an avalanche. Good product.

17. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Just ordered 4 8' sections of poly from them today for our Scoop Dogg 16'ers.

I hope it works out, rubber is awful but poly will cost you around 1200 for a 16' (2 8' sections).

Also a plus cutting edge poly is located just down the road from our shop.

As it pertains to the topic I would get a Scoop Dogg as they are cheaper, order it without the rubber and get a poly edge.

Here are my Scoop Doggs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  18. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Protech or boss