1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Protech on ASV SR 70

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cleancutccl, Jul 13, 2008.

1. cleancutccl

cleancutccl Junior Member
    from 6

I've done searches and can't find that a lot of people are using these pushers on ASV's. I'm looking at doing the Protech switchblade, b/c we get icy and wet snows every season. I'm trying to figure out between the 8' and the 10' pusher, anyone have one and how does the machine handle it? Thanks,

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

from what i understand that machine has enough power behind it so i think youd be alright with the 10' model. i know somebody who put a 10' on a machine with roughly 50hp and the thing was a dog. your machine has 71hp and should push that box fine. i dont know what kind of snow you get, but if youre like us and get heavy wet snow, 10 yards in that box will be a workout. but on the other hand 10 yards of powder would be no problem. check with the local dealer, he'll know exactly what to recomend.

3. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I run an 8ft on my RC50 and it handles it very well.

I think a 10 ft might be ok. But if you get into some real wet stuff or you have to push a long way, you might be better off with an 8 ft.

Also with the rubber edge. They tend to cause box drag and that robs power from your machine. If you can do it. I would look at a box with a trip edge. It will scrape better and work in all conditions. Plus having that trip edge is worth its weigh in gold as soon as you hit that first curb.

Trust me here. I plow with ASVs I know what works on them.

Peterbilt

4. 06HD BOSS

Thats what nice about the Protech switchblade hes looking at, its a steel trip edge. i couldnt agree more with you about the tripedge.

5. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I have an sr70 with an 810 blizzard plow and with it in full scoop mode in heavy snow, it does have problems. However, dry, fluffy stuff is great

6. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I would go with an 8 foot especially if you have long runs.

the switch blade does not have a steel trip edge, it has a solid steel egde just for cleaning up hard pack.

7. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Salopez is correct. The Switchblade model has a rubber cutting edge on one side and the other side is a steel cutting edge (no trip). The 8' is rated for 46-70hp machines and the 10' is rated for 70+ hp machines. If yours is 71hp, I would consider the 8' for long runs.

8. salopez

salopez Senior Member

thanks!

sorry I didnt add all of that myself, I was running out to an apointment.

we had a 277 on site last winter that was amazing with an 8foot protech. most likely would have been better with a 10 but its what he had.

if you adjust the rubber edge on a protech you should not have any "drag" that will slow you down.

9. 06HD BOSS

Then whats this about?

SBS.jpg

10. salopez

salopez Senior Member

well thats new! I guess I have not gone to their site this summer.

color me humble...

11. 06HD BOSS

its alright salopez, nobody's perfect :D

now let me find my crayons