1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Prospective plow truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Capo, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Capo

Capo Junior Member

How's it hanging guys? I have a chance to score a 92 bronco for basically free. a neighbor of mines has it sitting in her backyard and will let it go in exchange for some cement work. I'm considering the truck as a secondary plowing truck for the winter. The frame is pretty solid and the body doesn't have as much rust as you would think even though its been sitting outside for more than a year. it only needs standard maintenance, oil change, tune up, brakes possibly.only other problems are valve gasket and loose steering. it also comes with an extra set of rims and tires only 2 bad. the work on the truck isnt the issue the problem i have is that its a straight-6. with pretty decent miles.
    my questions
    1. could i run a blade on the truck without problems? i hear that bronco parts tend to break alot.

2. would the straight 6 be able to push the snow? not sure of the amount of power the 300 makes

3. should i just hold out until i can find one with a 351 or at least a 302?

4. if possible wat size/ make blade should i get?

currently i am running an 07 f-150 5.4l with a buyers salt dogg md series and a 99 250 v10 with a 8' western. i have never ran the I6 so you can see my slight apprehension.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

the I-6 is a workhorse///plenty of low end power
    It will make an excellent drivewat rig with a 71/2' plow
    go for it

3. Capo

Capo Junior Member

would i have to upgrade suspension or make any mods to the truck before mounting a plow???

4. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I don't have a problem with Broncos breaking parts. I add springs for a 90-96 F250 2wd diesel and do the 3g alternator upgrade and haven't had any problems plowing with any of my Broncos. I've never had the 6cyl, but I'm sure it'd be fine.

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

That would be an AWESOME plow rig for driveways. Basically a 1/2 ton truck (it can handle a 7 1/2' plow fine) but has the turning radius of a Jeep. The I6 was one of the best motor's for a truck ever built- TONS of low end torque. You won't win many races, but it will pull or push like no other while returning good fuel economy and will run until 300k miles or more with very little maintenance. Take it and don't look back, you'll love it!

6. Capo

Capo Junior Member

over 300k????? it has around 200k so i should have it clear until 2012. ive had my 99 super duty for over 10 years as a work truck/primary vehicle(until i got the lariat) been to georgia twice and still havent reached 100k. but everyone is saying that the bronco is a driveway rig. it wouldnt be up to some light commercial work like small business lots? i live in the city so driveways are as simple as back in and push out. and do you think i would need a ballast over the rear axle?

7. plowguy43

I just say driveway rig because of the short body length and tight steering radius. It can definitely handle small lots without a problem. Yes, I'd toss some ballast in behind the rear seat (there is plenty of room) but you won't need a ton. Run the 2wd diesel coils, or get airbags, or spacers to help keep the plow up and you'll be in business. Seriously, the Inline 6 was a stout motor that was one of the most reliable unit built.

8. Capo

Capo Junior Member

are the springs a direct swap?

9. plowguy43

Yes they are- he meant front springs. They handle the weight of the plow better and level the front end.

10. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

The Cleveland I-6 is an excellent engine, and has earned it's legendary status. You cannot kill them if you wanted to. Get her running, do a bit or work on it, have fun.

Broncos were great trucks, too bad they don't make an equivalent any more. Seems nobody besides Jeep is interested in making a fairly heavy duty little truck these days.