1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pros/Cons of PTO blower on farm tractor

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alaska Ranger, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Alaska Ranger

Alaska Ranger Junior Member

Well, as for me, I'm about to take possession of a brand new BOSS V-Plow, along with a 3/4ton Jimmy ('82) to push it. I think the 1/2 ton Jimmy('83) with the 8' Sno-Way is a good set-up, but it hasn't been enough to take care of my compound during this average winter.
    By the way - today's hi: -8*F; low -23*, and the wind rarely less than 30mph. LOTS of winter left in the Alaska Range!

So I called by bro-in-law in New Jersey to see where he stands wrt getting a new set-up. He's been using a reaer scraper on his farm plow to clear their 1/2-mile long driveway, and this winter has put on quite a show in hill country NJ. I offered to drive the 1/2 ton and Sno-Way from Alaska.

He says that he's looking at a 5' snowblower on a 3-point hitch and powered with the PTO. I have no experience with this set-up - and it's a lot cheaper than I would be willing to part my stuff for. Can anyone talk about rigs like the one he's interested in?

2. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

We have a 9ft plower on one of our tractors. The blower is really only usefull in heavy storms. We really dont use it that often. If he's only doing his drive t5hen he sould maybe look into a plow or a loader with plow.
    -Nick

3. Bonzai

Bonzai Member

Alaska Ranger
    Go to this web site, www.pronovost.gc.ca and check out the blowers there. The inverted model is the one that we will be looking at. just back in the driveway drop the blower and drive out, all the snow is put neatly on the lawn. There was a thread about this earlier and everyone made fun of the guy because they had never heard of it. I requested some info on this blower an it looks awesome. I know of one company in Montreal, West Island that with 5 tractors can do 700 drives in 4 hours in a 6inch snow fall. Try and beat that.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Alaska Ranger,just wondering what truck your buying. The Jimmy is 1/2 ton only.Do you mean a 3/4 ton Suburban? Just wondering what you've got. Congrats on the Boss V,you'll love it.

5. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

I use a rear blower on my tractor for every storm for my 60+ driveways. You should have about 10hp for every foot of blower. I've got 65 hp and a 7' blower. The main drum on mine rotates hydrolically as well as the shoot. With the drum rotated, you can throw even wet snow an easy 200' or you can put it through the top shoot and point it down to blow it right beside you. If you lack places to put the snow you can it in so many more places with the blower than with a plow on a truck. I've used it many times for over 24 hours straight and it's not too bad on your back if you can turn your body a bit to watch instead of just your neck. I even did my first year with it without a cab and only got a little snow down my neck.

I'm actually getting out of snow removal for myself and have my blower for sale at $2000 canadian

6. plowerfinn

plowerfinn Junior Member

inversed blowers

hey bonzai, alaska ranger.

i am the guy that put the post on another thread and everybody laughed at the numbers. Around here the only way to do driveways is with an inversed blower. check out that pronovost web site. thats what type i have, and its the most popular. the other type is Normandin. they are more or less the same design principle. You back in the driveway, set the direction of the chute, and drive forward and point the chute as you go.
    check out my web site at www.tlcservice.com under the snow removal for a couple of pictures.

Doing snow removal with a tractor is more cost effective as well. More work, less time, more reliable in the long run over a truck, which is bound to have transmission problems etc...Just think how long a farm tractor is meant to last.

Anyhow, let me know if you want more details or help.

later

7. We have an 8ft-3pt hitch blower on a farm tractor and it works real slick. If you have a very harsh winter the lack of snowbanks is very nice come mid winter. I would not recommend one if you don't plow blacktop or concrete, and you need to be more cautious about what is under the snow. Watch out for the cheap ones because there is a lot of them out there. I'm also not impressed with the hydraulic driven models, or the single auger ones. Go for a twin auger, p.t.o. drive. Make sure theres lots of shear pins in the drive train, and definitely get a hydraulic chute.
    One last thing, these blowers like HP. I'v lugged down a 125hp tractor in deep snow, although we usually run it with a 65hp tractor ok, just go slow. Good luck.

8. apkole

apkole Member

Hydrostatic drive

If you don't have a tractor yet, try to purchase one with hydrostatic drive system of some sort. Haven't been on a farm in years, so not sure what's available.

My Trackless articulated is hydro-drive ... one pedal, forward or back. Two speed shifter for high-low range. It's really nice as you can adjust ground speed with out slipping a clutch. Double auger, two stage. Hydraulic chute controls 180 degree rotation and deflector.

My two cents.

Andy

9. Bonzai

Bonzai Member

Hey Plowerfinn, I used to work for Ricks Snow removal do you know the company, they are right in your area. They were fairly large at the time. I spoke with my old boss and he is the one who put me on to these type of blowers. No one believed you when you said how many drives cuold be done in a few hours but I did because I`ve done it.:drinkup:

10. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

11. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Five foot front blower on a Kubota B7500 - 21hp PTO

kubota3.jpg

12. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I will be putting a rear blower on a Jeep next year! I decided to due this, after learning about the 700 driveways in 4hrs, from an older thread.

Hey, if you can't beat em, join em! I will see how it works. My plan is to get about 60 to 80 driveways in a 2 to 3 block radius, to test it out. I am hoping that this set up will shave two hours off a typical route.

Chuck B.