1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro's and Con's on Unimount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Quality SR, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys.
    I know some of you have trucks with Unimount plows on them. I am looking to buy a truck with one on it. What are your pro's and con's on them? I am use to the conventional style plow and it took 3 guys to put the plow on. ( 1 to drive, 1 to bend over to see if the truck is in line, and 1 to signal me which way to turn the wheel :dizzy: ) How is it to remove and put on the plow? Is there anything that I should know about this setup? Any info would be great. Thanks Rich

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

It's not that hard

I have one and I can hook up and unhook in about 1-3 min.
    1.Have the plow set on level ground
    2.Set the leg height so that when you pull away the plow stays the same height.
    3.Try to hook-up before it snows (that way you are at the same height as when you unhooked).
    Good luck if you buy it.

3. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

i have a unimount on my truck, and i have no problems with hooking up by myself.
    As DJ said, make sure you stay level with the plow.
    only other thing i have issues with are the relays. Might want to keep a couple on hand, which is a good idea for any plow.
    Make sure to keep dielectric grease in the connectors, as the western ones have small pins, and will corrode fast if you dont.

4. Quality SR

DJ
    I didn't even realize that a leg came with the plow. I thought i would have to uses blocks of wood, which was a pain. Also did you buy the hand held after the plow. What did you pay for it. Thanks Rich

5. Quality SR

jcesar
    Thanks for the info. I always carry extra things with me. But ill make sure i get some relays, and grease too

6. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i feel that my unimount drops quicker then some of our ultra mounts...the only downside i see is that it takes longer to hook up..im redoing mine hopefully over the next 2 weeks...tryin to figure out home to hook up the night hawk lights...

7. DJ Contracting

Yes I did buy the hand held controller and i have no complaints with it, this is my ninth season with it.

8. Quality SR

rfed
    It is no big deal if it takes a while to hook up. I have had experience with my conventional plow. :nod: From what i have read off the decal on the Unimount it looks a little easier. I am going to make a dolly for the plow, this way it is easier for me to move and hook up. Thanks for the info

9. Quality SR

Is it the same handheld for the Unimount and the ultra? If so do i have to buy an adapter for it to hook up to? Also do you remember what you paid for this. Thanks Rich

10. DJ Contracting

1. I don't know if they are the same (ultra/unimount)
    2.When I bought the plow new in 1998 it was an additional $60.00.

11. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Just for the record I have mounted a lot of conventional plows and never needed more then myself. You did not need to drive into them like the plows today.

Mounting a conventional plow.

1. Pull up close enough to hook the chain on you do not need to be lined up, I have pulled up and 45 degree angle to blade.
    2. Lift plow using hydraulics to get A-frame up and take weight of plow.
    3. One person can then maneuver ears of A-frame to get pins in.
    4. Adjust lift chain and plug in hydros.

I can still hook (BY MYSELF) a conventional plow (sitting on ground) faster then a "minute mount" (sitting on ground).

12. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

The handheld is the same for uni or ultra.:)

13. Quality SR

Flipper thanks for the info. I have basically learned on my own. I really didn't have anyone to tell me "this is how you do it" or "this is a better way". I learned how to put it on the truck, and i did it the same way all the time. The truck was not my everyday truck so the plow stayed on the truck all the time. I only took it off to bring it to my brothers shop to get work done on it. Other than that the plow stayed on the truck. I have used a jack stand to keep it at the right hight. And needed at least one other guy, ( 2 was a little faster) Just to guide me in. I am in the process of selling the truck now. I am pretty close to getting another truck with the uni mount, b/c i am going to use the truck all the time, and sell the truck i have now. Or i am going to keep the plow in my garage and the truck up at my brothers shop. I would like the whole plow ( including the head gear) to come off the truck. Thats why i am going with the unimount. I have never used any other set up other than a conventional plow. Could I use that method to mount this one?
    If i was able to afford the UltraMount with a brand new truck i would go that route. Unfortunately the cards aren't in my favor right now and ill have to wait for that.

14. Quality SR

Plowtech, Thanks for the info. I got your PM, I will be talking with you soon. Rich

15. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

IMO that method works for every convetional plow I have ever seen.

16. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I have a bottle jack that I welded a u-bolt on the top. This goes under the plow when I take it off. I don't evern use the kick stand. Then when you pull up, if you are at the wrong height, you can raise it or lower it as you need.

17. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

Hooking up a unimount isn't bad once you get used to it. Definitely get the decal for the back of the blade if it's not there and follow it. When you remove the blade be sure to put the control in float and push on the chain with your foot to force some slack in it.
    And a level surface helps a lot!

18. bpfaeh

bpfaeh Junior Member

I am in need of a unimount truckside bracket for 88-98 GMC/Chevy....if you are converting one...let me know....I would be DEFINITELY interested in the old bracket....

19. Ozone

Ozone Member

I've had my Uni-mount for 5 years now, and the only thing that can be a pain is..hooking up. I'm pretty quick at doing it, and can do it within the 1-3 minute range as well, as long as no snow is on the ground.

I finally broke a pin after 6 years, and that's the ONLY problem I've ever had.

I just got my Plow back from getting the Night Hawk Lights hooked up..they look awesome!! I was going to attempt it myself, but I'm glad I paid someone to do it for me.

I thought maybe the Night Hawks wouldn't look right on the Uni-mount..and I was way off base with that. The Night Hawks look just as good on the Uni-mount as it does the Ultra Mount. If anyone is looking to upgrade..I say do it!